𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘 𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄

Start from the beginning

Carlisle stepped back beside Esme so Jasper could begin addressing the wolves, his hands clasped behind his back. "A newborn army doesn't need thousands like a human army, but no human army could stand against them," the bronze haired vampire elaborated. "The two most important things to remember are first, never let them get their arms around you because they will crush you instantly."

"The second? Never go for the obvious kill. They'll be expecting that, and you will lose."

⋆☾ ゚。⋆

It was like a talent show in Augustine's eyes, her family sparring against one another in duos while the wolves, and Bella, watched from the sidelines.

After both Hales had their go, Rosalie being able to successfully out-maneuver Jasper, Augustine heard her name being called. Any anxiousness that settled while she was merely a spectator instantly came back to life, though she felt it subside when she stepped forward thanks to the empath across from her.

"Remember what we practiced?" he asked, referring to the days they used to spar when she first came to live with their family.

It was a way of channeling all of her still fairly newborn energy, and she found herself crouching into a predatory stance from memory. With a huff she addressed him, "game on, cowboy."

Jasper instantly charged at her, the ravenette ducking out of the way while trying to go for his knees. Her leg spun out, trying to knock him off balance, but all it did was send him flying over her shoulder as though he was fucking airborne.

The younger vampire kept dodging his attacks while trying to land some of her own, acutely aware of the multitude of eyes watching their duel.

She sensed his hand go to reach for her neck, so she grabbed it and yanked as hard as she could, flipping Jasper back over her shoulder. When he was just below her, she went to deliver the final yet fake blow when the bronze-haired boy gave his own final attack.

The agile vampire that he was, he barely had to swipe at her own legs before Augustine felt herself topple to the ground.

The only other sound besides her uncomfortable groan was a low snarl that erupted from somewhere across the clearing, and it made her pause from her task at rising back up to her feet.

Jasper's hand appeared in her vision, helping her get back up as Alice stepped up to the plate. "Even when you think you have the upper hand, never second guess them," he told her, the advice filing itself away in her brain as she nodded. He clapped a hand on her shoulder before she walked off. "Nice job."

Augustine walked back to a nearby tree, idly watching as Alice and Jasper began their duel, when she felt a presence creep up behind her.

The silver wolf, with its snarls kept to a surprising minimum, had stopped to stand right beside her. Subconsciously, her hand drifted to its head, ruffling the fur gently. "Happy graduation, Paul," she whispered with a small grin. She'd been meaning to tell him in person, but they hadn't had a study session in almost a week.

The wolf made some sort of huffing sound, but leaned into her colder touch— something neither of them commented on.

⋆☾ ゚。⋆

The following night, Augustine's phone began to ring as she drew at her desk. She put her pencil down (a pencil that used to be an eraser until she focused hard enough), and turned to pick up her phone. She paused when she saw that the call was coming from an unknown number, but hesitantly clicked the answer button.

Pressing it up to her ear she called out. "Hello?"

"You're a shit fighter, Auggie."

Her eyes narrowed at the drawing in front of her, disbelieving. "How the hell did you get my number?" she asked. Last time she checked, she had never given the boy her number, nor her address, nor anything substantial that he could use to try and contact her.

"Got it from Bella," he answered.

Was Bella, meddling? "Oh right, cause you two talk. Loosely."

"You jealous?" She could practically hear the smirk in his tone and it successfully riled her up.

She scoffed out her response. "Quite the opposite," she jeered, but it only garnered a small chuckle from the other side of the call. "And as for me being a shit fighter, I used to play volleyball; not a whole lot of brawls going on, much less armies to fight."

Paul hummed in acknowledgement. "I always thought you'd be more of a soccer girl."

"My brother was really into soccer," she said, mindlessly tracing the granite pencil markings before her with her hand. "Best midfielder I ever knew."

It was quiet for a beat. "Do you miss him?" Paul asked quietly, almost hesitantly as if he was afraid he was overstepping.

But Augustine found she didn't mind, and responded honestly. "All the time," she breathed out, "sometimes I wonder what he's up to— wonder if he made it pro after college like he wanted."

"Would you ever go try and visit him?" came his follow up question.

She scoffed, trying to stop herself from lashing out entirely because it wasn't his fault that he didn't know the whole story. "The entire county thinks I was murdered," she murmured, pressing her blunt nail into the desk to make a harsh divot, "I don't think showing up would go over well."

Another beat of silence, and if Paul had anymore questions (which he did, based on the way his entire body was tuned into the word murdered on the other end of the line), he didn't ask. Instead, he tried switching the topic. "I don't think I like the idea of you fighting these newborns."

"I was a newborn not that long ago, Paul," she reminded him. "If anyone can handle that type of vicious, aside from Jasper, it'll be me— fighting skills be damned."

"What if I said I just don't want to see you get hurt?"

Augustine bit back a smile. "I'd say that's cute," she told him, again, honestly, "but I'd never let my family handle this alone."

Paul sighed on the other end.

"Well I'll be watching your six out there regardless, whether you like it or not."

⋆。゚☁︎。⋆。 ゚☾ ゚。⋆

[ wyn's note ]

second half of the update!! the parallels between sam trying to persuade talullah to stay out of the fight and paul trying to persuade augustine to do the same?? they're softies at heart, your honour.

big moves for our babies!! but the dreaded battle is looming (aka, it's the next chapter). caution, i really cannot write fight scenes for the life of me but i'll deliver something nonetheless!

all love! xx