Chapter 1

Chapter 1

"Shimmer! Let's go! We're going to be late!"

Damn, another prank. That's what life here on the Kingdom of the Dark Fae is all about.

Stupid.

Childish.

And meaningless pranks.

Sprinkling a bit of Fairy Dust on my glittering wings, I fly out of my room to meet up with my friend Ahira who was waiting outside for me. After giving a kiss to my parents and little sister, I walk outside, smiling sheepishly as my best friend glared at me.

"Too you long enough! What were you doing that took you so long? Brushing your glittering wings?" I watched as Ahira hid her plain dark purple wings bashfully. Despite being one of my closest friends, I could tell she was jealous (like everyone else). Because of my wings, I was named after their shimmering appearance. I engulfed Ahira in a tight hug, giving her a kiss on the cheek. "No I wasn't brushing my wings. I wasn't really doing anything. But none of that matters now. Let's go do....whatever we're suppose to do. What are we suppose to do?" Quickly letting me go, Ahira beamed and jumped up and down excitedly. "It's going to be the gang's biggest prank yet! The Monarchy of the Light Fae are having a ball tonight. Since the ballroom is off limits to everyone until tonight, you, me and Dimiri are going to trash it. Isn't that such a great plan?!" I give Ahira an exasperated look, the other dark fairy's smile faltering. "What's wrong Shimmer? Was that a bad plan?"

I could help but sigh. "It wasn't a bad plan, it's just.....didn't we do that two years ago?" Ahira pouted, putting her hands at her waist. "You have any plan better than that?"

I didn't have a plan. In fact, I ran out of prank plans a long time ago. Pranking wasn't in my life like it use to be. I couldn't handle being a dark fairy anymore, I wanted to be something else.

A Light Fairy.

Ahira gave me a peeved look, her eyes narrowing. "Give up you silly dream, Shimmer! It can't happen." As soon as I heard her voice, I snapped out of my trance. Grabbing her arm, I fly out away from the house and into the woods. When I couldn't sense anyone nearby, I give Ahira an exasperated look.

"Why, Ahira? Why not?! The life of a Dark Fairy isn't for me!"

Ahira gasped and scooted away from me. "You're not my friend! Where's Shimmer and what have you done with her!?" I shook my head, defeated, tears rolling down my eyes. "I knew you wouldn't understand!" I tearfully fly away from her, not caring where I went.

If I couldn't be a Light Fairy or Dark Fairy...

What am I?