11. the heart brings you back

Start from the beginning

Ethan struggled to get to sleep, tossing and turning in his bed. But when he finally fell asleep, Ethan dreamt of his ideal future.

[....]

Ethan found Brooke in the schoolyard walking alongside Luke. Ethan started to walk towards Brooke, but left a distance when Felix approached the girl and Luke and chatted, Ethan approached again when Luke left Brooke alone.

Ethan stopped in front of Brooke, his face wasn't the happiest.

"Hey, Ethan. Where's Emm's?" Brooke asked.

Ethan couldn't say the words 'she's gone' again, his throat seemed to have dried up, as if a knot had been tied. Ethan handed over the letter Emma had written to Brooke, which was in his hands.

"Okay, this is a little creepy." Brooke said, picking up the letter.

"She's gone, Brooke." Ethan muttered, his voice breaking.

"What?!" Brooke opened the letter and began to read it mentally.

'B. Davis

First of all, I'd like to apologize for not saying goodbye to you properly. But I hope you understand that I didn't have much time, it was too sudden.

Secondly, I'd like to thank you for always encouraging me to chase my dreams and believe in my potential as a singer. That's what I'm going to do.

I made Ethan promise me that he would take care of you and Peyton, but if you can help take care of Ethan and Peyton, I will be forever in your debt, B. Davis.

I'll only be a phone call away, and I promise I'll be back soon.

I love you, Brooke Penelope Davis.

From

Emma 'Violence' Sawyer

Ps: If Felix bothers or hurts you, Ethan will play my part in breaking his face.'

Brooke was leaning against the wall in the hallway reading Emma's letter, Ethan was still standing next to the girl. Brooke smiled as she finished reading and looked at Ethan.

"I'm sorry, Ethan." Brooke said.

Ethan looked at her and nodded.

"Me too." Ethan muttered.

"Soon our rockstar will be back." Brooke said.

"I'll be waiting for her, Brooke."

If Brooke felt sad about not having her best friend around, she couldn't imagine how Ethan must be feeling.

[....]

Peyton was showing Tric to Jake, who had shown up the night before. After Emma said she was leaving, and Peyton canceled the evening's event. Jake had shown up when Peyton was talking to Ricki, the guy who had supplied her with cocaine.

Peyton told him that Nathan and Haley had gotten married, that Ethan had given Emma an promise ring. She also said that Haley was kicking ass as a singer, and that Emma had left the night before to go on tour with a singer who was helping her.