One: "Oopsie."

Comincia dall'inizio

"I'm sorry." I don't know what else to say. She's right, always is.

Shay sighs and turns me around with both hands on my shoulders. She pats my head and smooths my hair until she's pleased.

"Maya, you know I want what's best for you, yeah? I mean, what are friends for?" Taunting each other about the way the look maybe?

"Yeah Shay, thanks." I smile while slightly envying the way her body can put models to shame. It's not that big of a deal, it's just a body. As long as I can walk and do necessary things, i'm fine. Right?

I sigh as I bit my lip in anxiousness. No wonder boys aren't attracted to me. I've never had a boyfriend, let alone my first kiss. My skin resembles that of a vampire and my hair matches the depths of midnight. I love the way I look and I feel beautiful every time I put a new band shirt on. I feel myself. But it's comments like these- on days like these- which just drag me down into pits of insecurities.

I try my best at school because I know I won't be able to go to college anytime soon. My mom doesn't have a job and the only source of money we have is the cheques my uncle sends every month. I've never met him but he supports us as much as he can after the death of my father and I love him for that. That, and the money from my job at the café which is definitely not enough for a college tuition fee. I'm aiming for an academic scholarship but it's hard when there's so much competition. I'm just not good enough, I guess.

Shay leaves to her class and tells me to tuck my t-shirt into my jeans to 'look less bad'. It makes me uncomfortable that people can see my not-so-big butt and very big thighs. Oh well.

When lunch comes around, I always sit in the isolated part of school. They were going to renovate that area but didn't have enough funds so they left it as it is for a year. It's perfect because they have chairs and tables and it's always empty. Even though i don't have food today, I just do homework and study for a while.

It does get a bit scary because it's dark and the only light is from the windows but it beats having to sit alone in front of everyone because your friends have other friends.

Sometimes suffering alone is much less embarrassing than suffering in front of a hundred pubescent teenagers.

Shay never cares because she's too busy flirting with the jocks. She did ask me to come once but they all talked about parties, sexual intercourse and boys. Things that I knew nothing about. I try asking but they end up calling me a prude and getting mad at my lack of experience.

I sigh as I stuff my books back in the locker and take out my duffel bag with my work uniform. It's a pastel blue colored skirt, white shirt and pink apron. The skirt reaches just above my knees so it covers up a lot thankfully. I just don't like revealing things.

I walk to the cafe which is about fifteen minutes away. Once I enter through the door that says 'Jim's Café", i'm immediately greeted by the smell of coffee and lemon squares.

Jim soon comes out of the kitchen and envelops me in a bear hug. "Here's my favorite worker!" I giggle as I relish in his fatherly warmth.

"Don't say it too loud, you might upset the others!" I whisper-shouted. Favoritism can be hurtful to some

He only laughs more and tells me to change in the cafeteria. Jim and I met at the grocery store when he had forgotten his wallet at home and I offered to pay.

The man had dark skin that was adorned with wrinkles and a fatherly smile. He had an afro that he was obsessed with and always had me braid it for him.

Jim used to lead a local gang and was involved in all types of illegal things that I can't remember. That was until he met Ronnie.

Ronnie was a real estate agent who had an undying love for coffee and was the daughter of the towns mayor. I never got the chance to meet her since she passed just a year before I started working. But from what I saw in the pictures around the cafe, she was beautiful with blue eyes and ebony skin.