Chapter 10

"I'm hanging up now, Theo, I love you," Nevaeh tells Theo, who's trying as hard as he can to keep her on the phone.

"Alright, just one more thing. When are you coming back home?" he drawls. "I haven't seen you in so long, I'm starting to forget what your face looks like."

Nevaeh rolls her eyes, smiling. "I'm not sure. We're always moving and looking for clues. I guess whenever I'm close I could pay a visit."

The guilt of keeping Theo out of the loop had been eating at her, and so she had decided to let him in and tell him the truth. Well not the whole truth, but most of it. He doesn't know about the things she hunt, but he knows she's looking for her brother, and that Sam and Dean are helping. He had offered to help, and Nevaeh had politely declined, telling him that Dean and Sam were private investigators and that she didn't want him interfering with anything. A small lie couldn't hurt.

"I gotta go now," she tells Theo and she hears him sigh.

"Alright, I love you. Let me know if something turns up. And be careful."

"Always." Nevaeh ends the call and walks up to the booth where Dean is, not surprisingly, gawking at the waitress's cleavage which is on full display.

"Can I get you anything else?"

"Just the check, please," Nevaeh tells her, sliding next to Dean with her hand on his chest.

"Okay," the waitress says, and she walks away, still smiling back at Dean.

Dean drops his head low in defeat and Nevaeh giggles. "Why, why do this to me, Gerard," Dean mutters into the table and turns to Nevaeh. "You know, we are allowed to have fun once in a while. Thats" —he points in the direction that the blonde went— "fun."

"Spoiling your fun is fun," Nevaeh smirks, sliding the newspapers sitting in front of Dean her way.

"Lake Manitoc, Wisconsin," Dean says with a sigh as Nevaeh's eyes scan over the newspaper.

"Potential case?" Sam asks, sitting down next to her and Dean nods, continuing.

"Last week, Sophie Carlton, 18, walks into the lake, doesn't walk out. Authorities dragged the water— nothing. Sophie Carlton is the third Lake Manitoc drowning this year. None of the bodies were found either. Had a funeral two days ago."

"Funeral?" Sam asks, frowning.

"You don't need a body for closure and I doubt she'll turn up anytime soon," Nevaeh mutters. "So, Lake Manitoc." She glances up at Dean when she gets no answer, and finds his eyes glued to the passing blonde waitress. "Hey," she rolls her eyes and plucks his neck.

"Huh," Dean frowns at her.

"Lake Manitoc. How far?"

•••••••••••••••••••••••

"Now, I'm sorry, but why does the Wildlife Service care about an accidental drowning?" The sheriff asks the three as they follow him inside.

"You sure it's accidental?" Sam asks the man and he shrugs, as if giving it some thought. "Will Carlton saw something grab his sister."

"Like what? Here sit please," he gestures to the chairs and they take their seat as the man continues, "there are no indigenous carnivores in that lake. There's nothing big enough to pull down a person, unless it was the Loch Ness monster."

Nevaeh nods. "Yeah. Right," Dean says.

"Will Carlton was traumatized, and sometimes the mind plays tricks," the sheriff continues. "Still, we dragged that entire lake. We even ran a sonar sweep, just to be sure, and there was nothing down there."