8

I've never been a person to shy away from a party

I've never been a person to shy away from a party. I always enjoyed them, but tonight the only thing I could think about was leaving. The club was stuffy and full of people. The typical atmosphere was replaced by loud music and college-aged people yelling and attempting to sing. I wanted to enjoy it—I did—but I couldn't find it in me.

"Are you alright?" The blond-haired man sitting across from me questioned with a playful grin on his face.

What was his name again? Sam? Simon? Something with a S.

"I'm fine," I replied, picking up the glass of water in front of me and taking a sip.

"So, have you been having fun tonight?" He asked and I shrugged.

"It's definitely been...something."

If I was being honest, I was more than ready to leave. It wasn't like I was having a goddess-awful time, but I'd be lying if I said that something didn't feel out of place.

Simon laughed softly at my response. "It definitely is a bit much. If you're not feeling it, we could take a walk if you'd like...or maybe even go somewhere else?"

The innuendo wasn't lost on me. An uncomfortable feeling ran through my body and I opened my mouth to reject the offer, but stopped when something caught my eye behind Sam's head. Or rather, someone.

Swaying awkwardly offbeat without a care in the world was Fen. He was standing in the middle of a crowd with a cup of goddess knows what in hand. It wasn't hard for me to figure out that he was drunk. The way he was wobbling was a dead giveaway.

"Cronan? Are you sure you're alright?" Shane asked again, but I couldn't tear my eyes away from Fen.

I shouldn't have cared about what he did. I didn't, but there was something off-putting about seeing Fen wasted. I was used to him complaining about my alcohol consumption of anything. Still, he wasn't my problem.

"I'm fine," I muttered, forcing my gaze back in Sean's direction. "What were you saying?"

"I was asking if you wanted to get out of here," he smiled.

I opened my mouth to respond but stopped when I heard a loud thump and saw Fen crash against the ground. He got up without a moment of hesitation and continued as if nothing happened.

He wasn't my problem.

...But if the roles were reversed, I knew he wouldn't just leave me a stumbling mess.

With a sigh, I pushed my chair back and stood up. I glanced at the blond man sitting across from me and offered him an apologetic expression.

"Sorry, Seth. I need to go, something just came up."

The man blinked and as I walked away, I heard him say, "My name's Sawyer."

I was close.

I pushed my way through the crowd toward the direction Fen was in. It wasn't a difficult task seeing as most of the people were tipsy. One light shove had them clearing a path.