cadere (fall)

7th Day Before the Ides of December (7th December)

"She's beautiful Octavia," Lucretia murmured as she stared down at the babe in Octavia's arms. After five hours of labour, Octavia had finally pushed the little girl out. Octavia smiled down at the bundle in her arms. "Isn't she just?"

"Octavia?" Gaius' voice called from outside.

"In here!" Octavia called back, her smile widening slightly when their brother entered the room. His eyes landed on the babe and a wide smile took over his own face. "A girl," Octavia said.

Gaius' smile didn't falter, he simply stepped closer and peered down at the little thing. Then his eyes found Lucretia, and she saw the want in them. She smiled at him. It was only a matter of time for certain.

Though Lucretia knew there were ways to prevent pregnancy, she had never really inquired about them, or cared. Three years of marriage without a child? To a man who had already had a son? If Lucretia wanted any hope of stopping the whispers and rumour beginning to spread about her, perhaps it wouldn't be completely foolish to get pregnant. If they could convince Silvius to lie. A year ago perhaps she would have even suggested divorce, but Gaius had made a foolish deal without consulting her and now she was stuck in her marriage to Antonius' ally.

"... he gave her the name Marcella," Octavia was telling Gaius, who smiled and nodded, his eyes flicking to Lucretia's thoughtful face every now and then.

 he gave her the name Marcella," Octavia was telling Gaius, who smiled and nodded, his eyes flicking to Lucretia's thoughtful face every now and then

16th Day Before the Kalends of Ianuarius (17th December)

Lucretia blinked her eyes up at the sky. A flock of birds took flight in front of them and she heard Gaius sigh, "Heading south... for the winter."

"What?" Agrippa asked. Lucretia lowered her eyes to the men.

"The birds," Gaius explained. Agrippa nodded slowly, glancing back at the birds.

"They're getting out while they can," Lucretia muttered.

"Is that a good omen?" Agrippa asked, turning to Gaius, the pontiff among them.

"Of course it is," Gaius said, though his voice wasn't as confident as Lucretia expected. "Let's do it." Gaius clapped a hand on Agrippa's back and stood.

"I still want Caecilius," Lucretia said. Gaius nodded once as they mounted their horses and began the journey back to the city.

 Gaius nodded once as they mounted their horses and began the journey back to the city