oriri (return)

Two Months Later- 14th Day Before the Kalends of Sextilis (19th July)

For the next two months letters were exchanged between Lucretia, in Rome, and Gaius and Agrippa, wherever they were as they marched south. Still written in code, the letters told Lucretia where her lovers were and told Gaius how the political situation in the city changed as news of the victory in Mutina and the march south disseminated among the Roman elite.

Silvius had been in a panic. There was apparently no word from Antonius, so Silvius and Lucius were left to consider what might happen if Gaius was given power. They would have to suck up to the new consul. Silvius' connection by marriage would secure his continued existence, but he would have to work for anything else. As a side effect of this, he had been listening to Lucretia's opinion more often and kinder during their interactions.

Lucretia enjoyed the mess that Gaius' victory had inspired, comfortable in her own safety and future. Gaius would be consul, but more importantly him and Agrippa would be home soon. After a year apart Lucretia's heart had grown desperate for their company. Their letters no longer bringing the comfort they had at the beginning, so filled with politicking and war news. Now she had to distract herself from the heartache, spending hours weaving and sewing.

Currently, she was sewing a shirt for her... husband. Yes, it was certainly for her husband and not the lover she was constantly thinking of.

Suddenly there was the sound of fast footsteps as Silvius entered the room. "He's here." Silvius said.

Lucretia felt a rush of joy flow through her, he was home! They were home! "Where?"

"Outside the city gates, Cicero has called a Senate meeting to decide what to do." Silvius said, as a slave placed his white toga over his shoulder.

"Gaius wants to be consul," Lucretia said, "he won't settle for less, he is like our father in that regard."

Silvius furrowed his brows, "he won't settle for a praetorship? Or perhaps a role as aedile?"

Lucretia raised an eyebrow, "would you?"

Silvius shook his head, looking troubled, "well... I must go." He left the room and Lucretia listened as he left the house. ' Huh, this would be an interesting week. '

Lucretia looked up from her book at the sound of footsteps

Lucretia looked up from her book at the sound of footsteps. Pomona entered the room, she wasn't alone though. The short, curvy form of a heavily pregnant woman followed her. "Horatia!" Lucretia greeted her friend and sister-by-law, standing to wrap the woman in a hug.

"Lucretia, my darling. It has been too long," Horatia pulled back to look into Lucretia's eyes, "now my husband did not want me visiting you until all that mess with Antonius was resolved, so I haven't had the chance to tell you how sorry I was to hear of your father's death my dear."

Lucretia smiled slightly, a jolt of sadness running through her at the reminder of her beloved father, "thank you."

"Now tell me Lucretia, who is this Gaius Julius? Lucius won't tell me a thing."