Letter One - Anticipation in the Westward Wind: A Letter Before San Francisco

Near San Francisco, March 15, 1850

To My Beloved Sister Erin,

I am writing this letter to you just days away from the city of San Francisco. As my wagon train begins to approach the city, I have become extremely restless and overwhelmed by the anticipation. The journey here has been lengthy, strenuous, and full of hardships however I believe it has helped me develop into a stronger and more capable man. Nevertheless, I am glad that you, Thomas, and William chose to stay behind in Boston, for even the journey to St. Louis would have been difficult for my young nephew. I have boarded several types of vehicles and visited a number of great cities, traveling by train and canal boat from Boston to Philadelphia to Pittsburg and then by steamboat to St. Louis. The acquaintances I made on my journey down to St. Louis were quite diverse and unique. I met people from around over the world, all with unique backgrounds and stories. However, despite their origin, occupation, age, or marital status, every person seemed to share the same goal, which is to obtain the never-ending fortune that California is said to provide.

This ambitious yet obtainable goal is what kept me motivated throughout the latter part of my journey. When I reached St. Louis, I began looking for a group of immigrants to travel with, for traveling alone would be lonesome and endangering. Luckily, this was not a daunting task since there was a constant flow of people looking to travel out west. The country has truly been infected with "gold fever." After a couple days of searching, I found a group that seemed suitable and well prepared for the journey. Again, it was quite diverse consisting of both young men and families, from around the world. While most members of the group had wagons and oxen to pull their belonging, I was forced to settle for a modest mule. The money I had earned from working the docks back in Boston was not sufficient enough to afford me such luxuries. However, what I lacked in finances I made up for in companionship. Before departing I met an old Irish man named Mr. Sullivan. Mr. Sullivan recognized my accent and was able to tell what part of Ireland I was from instantly. He resembles our father quite a bit, since he is wise, jolly, and has a head full of white hair. He has provided me with a lot of wisdom throughout the journey and has helped me with a multitude of problems. For example, before departing he advise me to purchase a mule rather than a horse since many travelers informed him that mules were more effective.

Throughout the journey I rode almost exclusively next to Mr. Sullivan and his family. Mr. Sullivan was traveling with his wife and two daughters, all who helped keep me company throughout our travels. My relationship with the Sullivans was one of mutual benefit. While the family offered me companionship and often a place to rest on their wagon, I repeatedly helped them with the chores they were obligated to perform for the wagon train. While I did do this to repay the Sullivans for the kindness they have offered me along the journey, I also wanted to appear chivalrous to Mr. Sullivans eldest daughter, Mary. I cannot find words adequate enough to describe Mary's beauty. Her presence is breathtaking and makes my stomach feel like a fluttering field of butterflies. I have spent a great amount time with her, often walking by her side as we push through the country's endless wilderness. We also frequently sit next to each other in the evenings when huddled around the campfire. I try to impress her with whatever ridiculous story I can make up that night and she always leaves me in awe after displaying her marvelous singing voice. As you can tell I have grown quite fond of Mary; however, I do not know if the feeling is mutual. I frequently find myself wishing you were here to offer me advise on how to impress Mary, for I am in desperate need of a woman's viewpoint!

The journey through America's wild west has been nothing short of difficult. My wagon train has faced numerous challenges such as disease, panic, and potential conflict. We have had men, women, and children suffer and even die from illnesses like diarrhea. We have also had several close encounters with Native American tribes throughout the journey. These encounters caused panic and spread fear throughout the group. However, I have not let this disease and fear hinder my motivations, for I know I am protected by God through out mother's prayers. I believe mother and father would truly be proud of my actions throughout this exodus. I have made it a point to act with the maturity of someone two decades my senior, in order not to waste the sacrifice they have made for us. I have involved myself with the leaders of the group, offering my youthful vigor whenever needed. I have helped pull wagons out of the mud, gathered buffalo chips and stood guard on numerous occasions.

This trip has truly been a unique experience, filled with adventure, fear, love, and companionship. However, as we begin to approach San Francisco these feelings have been replaced with anticipation and anxiety. My mind has grown restless, for now it is time to hunt for the wealth, we have long desired. Wealth that is unobtainable in the land of our ancestors. I promise that I will not let you, mother, or father down. I will strike gold in California and bring it back to repay our parents for their sacrifice. We will flourish in this new country and partake in everything it has to offer. I will see soon Erin, please send Thomas and William my warmest regards.

Love,

Your Brother Sean O'Reilly