Chapter Three

August 25th, 1993

I couldn't believe my eyes

I couldn't believe my eyes. My father, famed right-hand-man of the Dark Lord, first to escape from Azkaban? Ever? And not one person from the ministry told me?

I bet they told Harry Potter.

Of course they would; my dad murdered his parents. The ministry would much rather inform The Boy Who Lived that he might not be living soon instead of telling the daughter they believed to have the serial killer gene as well. Why risk even more potential killings?

It was appalling to know how little the wizarding world thought of me at age 14. I'm not even blood related to Sirius Black, and yet I am still subjected to the yearly torture that is a day in court with Cornelius Fudge and Delores Umbridge.

Just then our other friend, Cho Chang, appeared out of Gringotts. I would have been excited, but I was a little preoccupied at the moment. She came to greet us before noticing what Vera and I were staring at. A look of realisation dawned on her face before she decided to take matters into her own hands.

Cho dragged me away from the Daily Prophet poster, as I seemed to have frozen in place in utter shock. Once we were in a more secluded area, she slapped me across the face.

"AMBR, WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?!" She hissed. "That totally looked like you were in on his prison break!" I glared at her. "What is wrong with me? What is wrong with me?" I demanded to know. How could she assume that I would take this lightly?

"I just got back from a trip where I found out my father was using me to stay in the press' good books, then travel again to find out my other father, who people seem to hate even more than the first, has vanished from the lockup previously thought to be inescapable and now has the freedom to start massacring everyone in sight. And you're asking me what MY problem is?"

Cho blanched. She never understood what it was like to be so heavily judged by the public eye for her ancestors' wrongdoings. She would never understand.

"Ambr, I-I'm sorry. I can't imagine what you must be going through." I hated it when people would grant me apologies out of sympathy. I hated pity. I hated how everyone thought that if they expressed how bad they felt they would magically make me feel better, too.

"I really hope that half-assed excuse made you feel good about yourself, Cho. This is the first time I've seen you since term ended, and you greet me with a hit and a lecture. I'm going back to my hotel room, or do you think I'm gonna start conspiring with my Pops to break out more death eaters while I'm gone?" That was all I said before I angrily stormed off, leaving Verity and Cho alone.

I didn't mean to force Verity to pick up the pieces of the argument Cho and I just had, but if I had stayed any longer I would have punched something. Or someone. I really needed to get better control over my anger issues. Vera was much more in tune with people's emotions. Hopefully she could figure out a way to convey that I would just need to cool off.