Chapter Fifteen

En başından başla

It was, but it wasn't. He'd never felt for anyone what he'd begun to feel for Nina, and that made her betrayal even worse and his pain almost untenable. He was fairly certain he was falling in love with her and he hated everything about it.

But he certainly couldn't say that to Dwalin. He'd never hear the end of it. Would never hear the end of those I told you sos.

And right now, all he wanted was to go home. To go back to Erebor and lick his wounds and to never be so bloody foolish again.

****

Dale was far busier than it had been the last time he saw it, but Thorin paid little heed to it as he and Dwalin made their way down Stone Street, past new shops and cafes that were not entirely renovated, but were still open for business. He had no interest in shopping and while his stomach did growl, he wanted only what awaited him back in Erebor.

Finally, they were on Dale's outskirts and all that lay between him and home was a rutted road across the plains. He and Dwalin said little as they crossed it and it wasn't until they were at Erebor's gates that he let relief surge through him.

"Your Majesty!" The gatekeeper called down. "Welcome home!"

"Thank you, Fait. It's good to be back."

The gates opened and he and Dwalin stepped into welcoming darkness of home. They parted ways at the Great Hall, with Thorin heading down into the depths of the city, where his recently renovated apartments were, down at the end of a dark corridor, lit only by the torches in sconces mounted high above in the labradorite stone walls.

The door opened without a sound and when he closed it, he leaned back against it, eyes closed, a sense of utter weariness sweeping through him. Normally he craved the silence and the solitude. But at that moment, it felt odd, almost suffocating to him. He couldn't help but wonder where Nina had gone, and how she fared, and despite his utter fury with her, he had to admit he was worried as well. She was wounded and had been turned out like a common criminal, left to the mercies of the woods and anyone she might encounter.

The price on his head remained and orcs knew she hunted him. If they still followed her, they might not necessarily know that she no longer traveled with him. And that would not bode well for her.

His first instinct was to go and search for her. But that was impossible. He couldn't trust her. She had betrayed him.

"Thorin?"

He bit back a groan at his sister's voice. "What is it, Dís?"

"Are you all right? I just bumped into Dwalin and he said you wished to be left to your thoughts."

"And yet, here you are, not leaving me to my thoughts."

"Don't be cross, Thorin. I'm concerned. He looked concerned."

He thunked his head back against the door, his eyes closing again. Dís meant well. He knew she did. But at the same time, he'd gladly throttle Dwalin if given the chance.

"Thorin?"

With a sigh, he turned to tug open the door and gazed down at his sister. "I'm fine, Dís. Truly. I am."

"Good. He also said you'd run into trouble. More than once."

His gut curdled. "It was nothing we could not handle. A persistent orc pack."

Her eyes, the same blue as his, narrowed. "Is that all?"

"It is, yes."

"Thorin."

"If you want to know, go ask Dwalin, since he seems ever so willing to discuss my life."

She moved by him and into his apartment. "He is concerned for you. He said he's never seen you this way. What's going on?"