𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘 𝐒𝐈𝐗

Start from the beginning

Augustine tried to maneuver through life as human as possible, despite the threat of her family's impending doom lurking on the horizon.

This consisted of doing her homework, working through that damned frog dissection assignment that was now taking her weeks to complete, and conversing with her only other human friend that wasn't Bella.

"So, any new updates on Connor?"

Connor from AP Lang, or as she now came to know him, Connor Prescott, was usually a topic of conversation between Augustine and Will Dilaurentis. Only now, she hadn't seen much of the other boy since she returned— only catching fleeting glances of him in the halls and at the back of her biology class. To her, it seemed like the Prescott boy was actively avoiding her blond friend, and that was weird.

The blond boy shrugged, using the fork in his hand to push around the salad in front of him. "We went to the movies last month," he said, shaking his head at the thought, "but we realized we'd be better off as friends."

"I'm so sorry Will," she replied with a pout, reaching across the table with her mitten-clad hands. "I know how much you liked him."

Oh yes, he'd insisted she needed to wear them despite her daily objections to it. It seemed her friend wouldn't take no for an answer, too worried about her low iron levels, but she'd always peel them off her hands the minute they parted.

He made a noise of indignation. "No use in dwelling on the past, am I right?" He dropped his fork onto the table and leaned towards the girl, who subsequently leaned back in her seat at the odd proximity. "We never talk about your love life."

"Because it's non existent," she pointed out with a huff, "no need to rub it in."

"Oh come on!" the taller boy whined, sprawling back in his own plastic seat. "There's gotta be at least someone, someones."

Augustine thought it over, softly reminiscing about her own life as of late. On one hand, she and Paul had come to terms with a truce, and the diner was quickly becoming their joint study spot (really it had been hers, but Paul coincidentally started coming by whenever she was there, and she could never stop him from sliding into the booth she was at). But on the other hand, she and Alec had kept exchanging letters more frequently, and the latter of the two hadn't let up on his sporadic puzzle packages just yet.

They were so wildly different.

"I guess there's one," she mumbled, twirling a piece of her hair in her hand haphazardly. "But it doesn't matter, it'd never work out between me and him anyways."

"That is so Augustine of you to say," he responded with a groan.

She shot him an annoyed glance at the emphasis on her name. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"Means you have a special talent for always assuming the worst before giving anything, or anyone, a chance," came his quick response, as if he had the answer at the ready and was just waiting for her to ask. He quirked an eyebrow up when her mouth opened to respond, but promptly closed when she couldn't get any words out. "See, even you know it's true."

"I have good survival instincts, is that really so bad?"

"Survival instincts my ass. Just say you're scared."

"Am not," she responded, her jaw ticking ever so subtly. "I just don't see the fuss in getting your hopes up for no reason."

It was in her nature to be skeptical, to assume the worst case scenario in every scenario, because that was the type of person she was raised to be. She was apprehensive to protect herself, and she vehemently denied that the reasoning went any deeper than that.

But had you known her when she was a human, you'd have known that what she said was a load of bull shit.

Will shook his head. "I don't know who told you that being scared is a bad thing, but it's not," he told her, rather firmly, and Augustine didn't know if she liked his tone or not. "Fear makes us human— makes us normal."

And maybe if she was human, if she was normal, she would've believed him. Instead, she rolled her eyes. "If this is your idea of advice, I think it sucks major ass."

"Oh that wasn't my advice," he told her, a smirk now playing at his lips, "but since you brought it up—" A pained groan cut him off, the boy nudging her shin underneath the table roughly. "Tell him how you feel."

"I'd rather be left to die," again "but thanks."

"Teeny, I'm serious," and Augustine was almost taken aback by how pleading her friend's tone became. She pursed her lips, gesturing for him to continue. "Shit may be scary at first, but if it's meant to be..."

"It'll be, yeah, I know the saying."

⋆。゚☁︎。⋆。 ゚☾ ゚。⋆

[ wyn's note ]

double update double update! more on will and august; missed them hanging out :(

thanks to will's advice, maybe the next chap will be augustine listening to said advice........ we shall see! all love xx