Chapter 18: The Hudson Disagreement

Trigger warning: May contain sensitive topics such as death, sex, profanity, suicide, self-harm, drugs, alcohol, mental health, sexuality, etc. There might be depictions or references to sexual harassment. Please be guided accordingly and read at your own risk.

Some secrets are meant to be kept but there will always be the possibility of it being exposed. Aurora had been harboring one of her own, tucked underneath her clothes. It had been a challenge for her to keep mum about it, not wanting to draw any more attention but there was no way of denying that someone saw her in Malloy's study. Even if she was able to ask for their cooperation, she could never be sure if they would keep it.

Ever since that day, Aurora had been more cautious of her surroundings. Every pair of eyes that would graze her presence would make her mind race, wondering if they saw her walking out of the study. It felt like she was walking on thin ice, carefully treading each step as she walked around the house. Whenever she would catch a glimpse of the one who caught her, she always felt like she needed to keep an eye out all the time.

But she could not spare a moment to dwell on that feeling because she had her mind set on focusing on training both her physical strength and her heightened hearing. It was also an effective way to keep herself away from the mansion for the majority of the time, not giving anyone the opportunity to make up something about her.

"Are you okay?" Leann asked, sounding genuinely worried. She had always been gentle when it came to Aurora, making sure that she was somewhat okay.

Aurora heaved a sigh, scrunching her nose as she sat at the edge of the bed. "I'm confident that he'd be okay with it but I'm still a little nervous. It could compromise the plan." There was frustration dripping from her words, knowing that it would be difficult to have someone to share a secret with. It would always be easier to keep something alone.

"Do you think he'd rat you out?" Leann asked, curiosity swirling them.

And just before Aurora could answer, she heard the click of the bedroom door opening, revealing Emilia who wore an all-gray outfit that complemented her light ash hair which was tied up into a high ponytail. She did not even ask if she could come in, she just walked in and stood in front of Aurora.

"Emilia..." Aurora greeted, plastering a soft smile on her lips as she stood up so she could face Emilia properly. Aurora wore her confidence like a jacket, making sure that she was not going to slip.

Emilia returned the smile but it immediately melted into a frown. "I know what you did." She raised a brow. "All of this thing that you're doing." And it was just those words that told Aurora what Emilia meant. It did not need many contexts because there was only one incident that could be related to it.

Aurora scrunched her nose, a flame started to burn at the pit of her stomach as she brushed her fingers through her hair in frustration. "What the hell?" she exclaimed, a scoff ripped through her lips. "I fucking hate that Hayden tells you everything." She hissed.

Just like that, the expression on Emilia's face turned more neutral as she shrugged and sat at the edge of the bed, crossing her legs and leaning back to prop her hands behind her as support. "It was my order. Of course, he would listen to me."

Aurora rubbed her temples, trying to ease the tension that was building within her skull. "I trusted that he wouldn't because it's a Blood Rage matter." Aurora huffed and then pressed her lips into a straight line.

"Look, he's not as dedicated to Blood Rage as you. What weighs more for him is that I helped him, that I saved him. We're just enjoying life together," Emilia said. There was warmth in her voice, showing just how much she truly cared about Hayden, too.

Hearing that made Aurora pause to think. She did not consider that when she was caught by Hayden snooping in Malloy's study. She did not realize that Hayden never showed any interest in anything Blood Rage because if he did, he and Aurora would have had a lot of things to talk about, especially that early morning when she was caught. If he cared enough, he would have asked to help but he only nodded before leaving her on her own.

"Don't worry, Aurora." A soft smile adorned Emilia's lips. There was something about her tone that showed support, a little bit of firmness laced into it. "I wouldn't tell anyone about it. In all honesty, I don't agree with my father's plans regarding both the potion and the war. I just have to understand and be involved that's why I try to engage in conversations."

Emilia's words made Aurora's eyes grow wide. Never did she expect that Emilia was against Malloy's plans regarding the potion and the war. Every time that Aurora listened in on whatever conversation she could reach, Emilia usually remained engaged, asking her father about the important things. All along, Aurora thought that it was a sign that all the Hudsons were aligned but apparently not.

Meanwhile, all Emilia could think about was what influenced her to disagree with her father. It was a place that she could never forget, a place she rarely visited but always remembered. The memories still feel fresh, almost as if it was yesterday and yet so far away. As much as she wished that she could keep on looking back at it, the thoughts were enough to clench her heart.

"There are children in Blood Rage pack, Malloy! No matter what you say, you can't treat children that way. You have children. You should know what it's like to want to provide," Susie, Malloy's wife, argued. Her voice raised with every word, her jaw almost clenched in frustration as she tried to make her husband understand.

Malloy scoffed. "It doesn't matter. They're a pest in the land and should know their place! That's why this project should be pursued." His voice was firm, almost like an ultimatum that could no longer be changed.

Susie shook her head. "No, Malloy. They're vulnerable. They're poor. They're doing what they can to scrape by! Don't do this! Have mercy!" Susie tried to argue back, holding Malloy by the shoulders but he only let out a low yet venomous growl that made the hair at the back of Susie's neck stand up.

And that was something Emilia did not understand until she witnessed what happened to Hayden. Seeing something like that with her own eyes made her realize that her mother was right. Maybe for a while, she thought that her father was doing the right thing. As a child, she supported him in a way but lurking at the back of her head was her mother's voice, shouting the same words she shouted at Malloy. And somewhere along the way, Emilia also thought that there may be a way for both packs to co-exist better.

Emilia's knowing gaze locked with Aurora's, a knowing look shared between the two women. Even in that brief moment, they had a certain understanding that was made. Aurora could recognize the hint of determination and independence that was etched in Emilia's eyes.

A faint smirk ghosted Emilia's perfectly glossed lips. "There will be a ball soon. That would be the perfect chance to make a plan."