Ch. 04: Birth of Nightshade

───────── ౨ৎ ─────────

The encounter with the shadowy figure in the park left me shaken but strangely exhilarated. Fear warred with a newfound sense of purpose. My invisibility, once a source of terror, now felt like a responsibility, a secret weapon waiting to be honed.

The following days were a blur of experimentation. Confined to the safety of my room, I practiced switching my invisibility on and off with a flick of my will. At first, it was clumsy, a flickering dance between visibility and invisibility. But with each attempt, the transition became smoother, more controlled.

By the weekend, I could activate my power with near instantaneity, my form dissolving into shimmering air within a heartbeat. The thrill was addictive, a secret dance between myself and the world around me. Yet, the thrill alone wasn't enough. I needed a plan, a way to use my power for good.

The answer arrived in the form of a late-night documentary about a notorious jewel thief known only as "The Raven." The thief, shrouded in mystery, operated with audacious precision, always one step ahead of the authorities. A mischievous glint sparked in my eyes. If a criminal could exploit invisibility, then why couldn't a... vigilante?

The concept of a superhero, a protector of the innocent operating from the shadows, ignited a spark within me. But a hero needed a persona, a symbol. Hours were spent rummaging through my closet, discarding clothes until a motley collection of dark fabrics lay piled on my bed. With needle and thread, fueled by a surge of creativity, I transformed the scraps into a makeshift costume – a dark bodysuit accentuated by a flowing black cloak and a domino mask that disguised the upper half of my face.

Standing before the mirror, the reflection that stared back was no longer Violet Skye, the perpetually invisible girl. This was Nightshade, a creature of the night, a protector cloaked in shadow.

My first mission, however, wouldn't involve grand jewel heists. The local news had been buzzing about a string of petty thefts plaguing the local convenience store across the street. A perfect place to test the waters, I decided.

Tonight was the night. The adrenaline thrummed through me like a live wire as I slipped into my homemade costume. Clad in black, the room seemed to fade away, swallowing my visible form into the shadows. With a silent whoosh, I propelled myself through the open window, the cool night air washing over me.

The convenience store was deserted, bathed in the sterile glow of fluorescent lights. The silence was broken only by the rhythmic hum of the refrigerator. Suddenly, a muffled crash came from the back of the store.

My breath hitched. Someone was there! Activating my invisibility, I crept towards the sound, my senses on high alert. A figure, hunched and clad in a hoodie, emerged from the back room, a sack of chips clutched in his hand.

This was it. My first act as Nightshade. With a deep breath, I focused my energy, summoning the now familiar tingling sensation. Invisible once more, I darted towards the would-be thief. He spun around at the sound of the swinging door, his eyes widening in surprise as he saw the empty space where I should have been.

"Who's there?" he stammered, his voice laced with fear. Before he could react, I snatched the bag of chips from his grasp, the crinkling sound echoing in the silence.

"Those aren't yours," I said, my voice a low whisper that seemed to emanate from everywhere and nowhere at once. The thief whirled around, searching frantically for the source of the voice.

"Show yourself, coward!" he yelled, his bravado crumbling. I didn't respond, instead opting for a more theatrical approach. With a flick of my wrist, I sent the bag of chips sailing through the air, depositing it neatly on the counter.