𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑

Start from the beginning

"Since you all left for who-knows-where," he stated, digging through his backpack to pull out a calculator and a notebook of his own. "She's buddies with Jacob, you know."

"Oh, I know," she mumbled, remembering the intense interaction they all had outside of the school earlier. When she saw him grab his pencil and begin punching numbers into his calculator, she lowered the pages in her hand. "What're you doing now?"

Paul paused, tilting his head as a smirk rested on his face. "Working. Bella said you needed a study buddy after she ditched you... practically insisted I come," he replied. "You ask a lot of questions, huh?"

Her lip was curled back. "Yeah, but it's not a leech thing— it's a me thing."

His smirk dropped instantly, and Augustine placed his assignment notes onto the table. "About that," he started, a hand going to scratch the back of his head nervously. Her eyes tracked his every movement. "I'm really sorry, Augustine. And I don't say that a lot, but I am. I just— I don't know," his words were scrambled, and the next part of his sentence sounded like it was being punched out of him, "I missed you— sorta, but don't get a big head over it."

A laugh bubbled out of Augustine, her hands going to cover her mouth as her shoulders shook. He gave her the most deadpan stare ever, throwing his own hands in the air in frustration. "Okay, that was shit, I know— but I'm really trying here!"

Augustine knew Paul was never the type of admit his wrongs, nor apologize for said wrongs, so despite her fit of laughter she couldn't help but see the sincerity in his brown eyes. Her laughing faded, her posture still stiff as a board as she observed him.

"Okay."

She turned her attention back to the assignment in front of her, slyly bringing Paul's work closer to hers so she could copy it. His hands dropped onto the table. "Okay? That's it?"

She groaned. "What do you want me to say, Paul? I don't forgive you, but okay. Take it or leave it."

He watched as she started scribbling in her notebook, eyes darting between her own textbook and the sheets he provided. He watched as her shoulders slumped relaxedly, and to him, that was a major win.

"Okay."

⋆☾ ゚。⋆

The silence that overcame the two was short lived when Augustine caught Paul stealing fries from the plate in front of her. She rolled her eyes, her hand slapping his when she caught him for the third time. "Will you stop that!"

His eyes were narrowed, scrutinizing. "Can you even eat them?" he asked, instantly making Augustine roll her eyes.

"No, but it's rude to steal someone else's things," she chided, watching as Paul huffed and returned back to his work. Only, when two minutes rolled by and she heard the tell-tale grumble of his stomach, she pushed the plate closer to him before whispering, "there's more in my bag if you want."

Before Paul could even get the chance to be overjoyed that she was basically offering him food, a clear love language in his eyes, he played back what she said in his mind. 

His face scrunched up, evidently confused. "In your bag?"Augustine wordlessly lifted up her pack pack and gave it to Paul. The older boy took it and peered inside; and sure enough, the entire bottom looked like a bottomless pit of french fries. "Oh."

"Yeah, oh."

The Lahote boy shrugged, taking a fry from her bag and munching on it happily. "Does this mean we have a truce now? An I give you my notes, you give me your food sort of deal?"

Augustine's chin rested on her palm, staring at the boy. "Will you stop calling me a leech if I agree to this truce?" she questioned, lips pursed as she awaited his response.

He put a hand over his chest, where his steadily beating heart resided. "Cross my heart," he declared, tone as serious as ever. "No more leech, bloodsucker, or pale face comments from this guy, swear."

And rather than call him out on the nickname, she let it slide— but just this once. She held out her pinky, looking at him expectantly. "Pinky promise, wolfy?"

His pinky easily intertwined with hers, and both teens couldn't shake the spark of static that flowed through them at the touch. "Pinky promise, Auggie."

Because a truce didn't mean they had to be friends, right?

Right?

⋆。゚☁︎。⋆。 ゚☾ ゚。⋆

[ wyn's note ]

progress, baby, progress!! when paul takes initiative <3 though, we can't blame august for being apprehensive cause he doesn't have the best track record— but he's definitely gotten his head out of his ass LOL

hope y'all enjoyed the pure fluff. more to come (hopefully)!

all love xx