The Origins of Pirates

Daily experience proves it to be undoubtedly true, that English pirates do first arm and horse themselves within your Highness' dominions, as well England as Ireland, which the easier happens by reason that there are divers places (and chiefly such as are not capable of great shipping), that have no command,<26> as also by the negligence of the owners of such small ships, that having no force to defend them keep ill watch, and leave their sails aboard; wherein those officers cannot be excused, that do not discreetly look into the disposition and resorts of such seamen as either are within, or near their harbours. So that it is commonly seen, that a very few, though but to the number of 10 or 12, do easily get out, and being assured of more company wheresoever they shall touch upon the coast, (by reason that the common sort of seamen are so generally necessitous and discontented) they make no doubt but when they have somewhat increased their number, to better their ship by going into the Trade of Brittany<27> where they meet continually with small Frenchmen, pinks,<28> and brawmes<29> of Hoorn,<30> which being slightly manned are easily surprised. These Commonly go well, and are of good burden, as between 180 and 200 ton; and then by the countenance of such a ship well manned they quickly overbear any small ship with a few great ordnance, and so by little and little reinforce themselves, to be able to encounter with a good ship.<31> But if they chance to put out of the North part of these coasts, then they fit themselves in the North Seas. And to give your Highness a particular instance and taste how these men may and do easily embark themselves: When small pinks and little vessels do stop below Gravesend, in Tilbury Hope, or against Queenborough, the wind being westerly, they may, with one or two wherries in the night, go aboard and enter them, and put to sea before a wind, so that they cannot be stayed or prevented. In this manner, or the like, for the most part they begin both in England and Ireland; and although these things happen more often in England than Ireland, by reason there is more plenty of ports and shipping, as also more abundance of seamen, yet in proportion Ireland doth much exceed it, for it may be well called the nursery and storehouse of pirates,<32> in regard of the general good entertainment they receive there; supply of victuals and men which continually repair thither out of England to meet with pirates.<33> As also, for that they have as good or rather better intelligence where your Majesty's ships are, than contrariwise they shall have of the pirates. In regard of the benefit the country receives by the one, and the prejudice, or encumber as they count it, of the other. Unto which must also be added the conveniency of the place, being that the South, the West, and the North Coasts, are so full of places and harbours without command, that a pirate being of any reasonable force, may do what he listeth. Besides that, many of that nation are scarce so well reduced to any civil jurisdiction, as to make a conscience of trading with them.

Myself saw the experience of these things, for being in the North-west [of Ireland,] where few pirates come, and not understanding but hoping of your Highness' gracious pardon, being for my safety bound to stand off to Sea, till I might hear a happy answer from my friends, to whom I then sent into England, I had near 60 new men come into me, and received letters from the southwards that here were divers expected, that I would touch in those parts to take them in. And generally a pirate may in all those parts trim his ships, without affront from the country, although it be in such places as they may well, either surprise or disappoint them, as also victual themselves in this manner<34>:

The country people will not openly bring their victuals, nor in audience of any seem to harken to any such motion, yet privately with the captain will appoint where he shall in the night find so many beeves<35> or other refreshments as he shall need, who (that he may seem to take this away perforce) must land some small shot, and fetch them; with like cleanly conveyance, and secrecy, he must land the goods or money in exchange, which by custom, they expect must be 2 or 3 times the value. In the same sort shall he have all kind of munition, or ship's provision, if it be there to be had. I say not that this is done by open allowance, or toleration of the chief governors and commanders, yet I may well imagine by proportion of other things in these days there may be some connivance where there is a fellow-feeling.