CHAPTER THREE

The moment I forget my car keys is when I am in the parking lot. My head still hurts from yesterday's staying up all night with Minnie. I sigh at the thought of going back up numerous floors, taking the elevator, and to the office. I could just call an Uber.

Jusko, Theoden, ayaw gud pag tinapulan.

And so I drag myself through the stairs and to the elevator. When I arrive at the office, one office's light is still on.

Nina's.

She rarely comes to the office.

I then hear two voices talking, then I realize it's Nina herself, and Kyan.

"Are you trying to lecture me, little brother?" Nina asks, albeit her voice isn't quite polite.

"No, I'm teaching you common sense." Kyan retorts.

I duck a little so they don't see me from the blurred glass and slowly head to my office. I can still hear them.

"Don't tell me what to do with my business's money. I'm the CEO, what are you? Just a director under me. Just because you didn't get the chance to handle one of father's many businesses, doesn't mean you can be all snobby at your older siblings." Nina tells him. Are they talking about Nina's money withdrawals?

Kyan is silent for a while as I look through my desk. Then he replies, "Why are you getting so defensive and worked up? What I'm solely asking is where are you using your money?"

Then I stop what I'm doing and wait for Nina's answer. I can't help but be a little nosy.

"My personal use. And, none of your business." That is all she says and then walks out.

I'm not entirely sure if I should've heard what I heard. I continue looking for my keys; I check all my drawers, and shelves, I even attempt to see if it fell on the floor. That's when I hit my head on the desk when I try to stand up.

"Agay pisti." I groan loudly. Then I realize Kyan doesn't know I'm here.

I feel a sense of fright, but I'm not sure why. He isn't a murderer or something.

Nina's office door squeaks and I hear footsteps.

On second thought, he might be.

As I try to stand up, my head still aching, I hit my lamp and it falls to the ground. Oh my God?

The glass door opens and I see Kyan's shoes through my peripheral vision. This is so awkward.

He sighs. "What are you doing here?" His voice firm.

I slowly look up and look at him. His hair is still kept, though a little ruffled. His eyes are slightly sleepy, and he's in his white shirt with his maroon tie.

The sight of him like this in the warm, yellow light from the lamp pulses something in me.

I realize that I haven't responded, "Forgot my keys." At this point, I should just say I've lost my keys. It's literally nowhere to be found. There's a moment of silence as I continue to look through shelves.

"How far is your place?" He queries.

"What?" I say confusingly.

"I'll drive you. It's too late to call a cab anyway." He offers and my jaw drops. He judges me.

"What's wrong?" He asks.

"Nothing. Just shocked you still have a little kindness in you."

"Fine. Nevermind." He is about to head out before I say, "No wait! Okay, okay."

I look at the buildings we're passing by. The city is almost empty and only some lights are on.

Kyan's car is a BMW i7, which I will admit, is impressive. The air is cold as the silence loudens. I peek at him, his eyes focused on the road and they reflect the light outside. My eyes trail to his hands for a second– veins running through them, and I look back outside.

This feels so weird. I shouldn't be taking any of this personally, but it's so out of the blue for Kyan out of all people to offer me a ride. I should at least invest in some conversation. I have this thing where I don't like silence.

I begin. "So, you're not going to stalk me now that you know my address, right?"

"I only observe things worth my time." He replies coldly. The tension brews and the silence is deafening. Okay, nothing to work with. Maybe I will stay silent. The asshole isn't worth talking to anyway.

I look out the window again. We're crossing a bridge. The water reflects the lights on from the buildings. Some are yellow, some are white.

All of a sudden, Kyan clears his throat. "I suspect you heard my conversation with Nina."

Something inside me stirs. Should I lie? Would it be a bad thing if I said yes? Instead, I just nod awkwardly not knowing how he'd react.

He purses his lips, his furrows lightly, and slows down the car. "I think you comprehended how Nina didn't tell me what she was using the money for."

"No, I haven't, since I'm not analytical like you." I tease sarcastically. Then I realize that this is actually a serious conversation when he doesn't react and his face remains serious. Giatay. "Well, yes." I recover.

"You asked me if my sister was in any way corrupt, I must say, I don't know." His expression and tone are worried. His facial features are defined in the streetlamp lights. "If she wasn't hiding anything serious, she would've immediately told me what she was doing."

I snort. "She'd probably describe and brag about what shoes and bags she bought, 'I just bought a new designer bag that costs about a million, but compared to my other bags that cost about ten-mils, it's so basic and cheap.'" I mock. He laughs a little at this.

"That's my sister." He responds.

"It's kind of surprising how we aren't shouting at eachother right now." I share. "Didn't know you were capable of holding a conversation without criticizing me."

He glances at me, his brown eyes full of mischief as he drives with one hand. "First of all, I'm truly capable of holding a conversation, as long as the person is likable, and second, I'm merely correcting you."

"So I'm likable right now?" I push and narrow my eyes at him.

"When you aren't rolling your eyes at me every second, then yes."

I nod teasingly at this.

Instantaneously, my phone chimes. I fish for my phone and check the notification. Josh. I must be subconsciously smiling because Kyan then says.

"Is that your boyfriend?" His voice having a hint of something I can't quite catch.

"Uh, no. Absolutely not." I say.

"I honestly thought you were taken." He admits.

"Yeah, well, I have this hopeless romantic syndrome. But don't get your hopes up, you're not my type."

His eyes light up and he scoffs. "Believe me, Theo, you're the last person I'd ever date."

"I'm the last person, sure, but that means I'm still on your list." I retort.

He shakes his head and smiles like I'm unbelievable. "You just have a comeback for everything."

It's so weird seeing him like this. All formal, cold, and firm Kyan Dy, smiling and laughing.

When we arrive on my street, I open the door, and before I close it, I say. "Thank you. I guess." He's the last person I thought I would thank, really.

He throws me a close-mouthed smile, his dimples slightly showing. "My pleasure."