Letter #3

2002, 11th of May

Dear Kaito:

Everything ends how it started. Always. The only person left I have to talk to now it's you. Good old times, I suppose... It reminds me of something I heard once, that you die how you were born, alone. I suppose it's fate then.

I've not talked to you about it yet so I suppose that you are confuse right now. Let me explain. Kakucho hasn't sent me a letter since last month, which is weird because I'd usually receive them twice a week. When he didn't respond to one in April, I thought there was a problem with the mail and I sent a second one. He was unresponsive with that one too. It wasn't a coincidence, I knew it, but I was desperate and wrote a third letter... that I burned. With you is so that it reaches you but with him... I'm not going to spend more time thinking about someone like him.

So I'll shut up about him forever, the name Kakucho is now forbidden in my thoughts and letters.

On the other hand, you'll receive the letter tomorrow, I'm sorry, but it is so difficult to do anything in this place. I hate Kobayashi so much. She thinks she is so good, that everything she does is because society has made her that way. She even thinks she is a feminist! Having a brothel? No, love, you're not a feminist. Read what she said this evening.

"Have you seen what that client has just done?" We were at the reception where she was talking about my job for tomorrow or, as she calls it, one of my obligations living in her place. She has given me a three cubic meter room, come on. "He was looking at my boobs all the way to Risa's room. Can't men have enough with one woman? If it wasn't for my job, I would have joined a feminist group years ago, you know how much I care about women." I looked at Kageyama in disbelief, but he was occupied writing something in a book. I think I've not seen that man smile, or be bothered at anything, since I've set foot in this place. "Well, as I was saying, the place you'll meet them..."

The only thing I give her is that she has amazing hair. She brags for a reason after all.

Yeah, yeah, I know you're curious, I won't keep you with the intrigue any more. You know I've received tasks since the first day, in the beginning they were small and ordinary, things you'll ask an eleven year old child. Taking the garbage out and shit like that.

The first time I was shocked was when she asked me to record the, let's call it work moment, Priya was going to have with a very elegant man. Kobayashi has a brother that you could call "high class", it was heavily decorated and the girls always wore silk. There were golden details everywhere with marble floors and an atmosphere that reminds you of the European Renaissance. I supposed that the man was important and recording the work moment would be used against him. I wanted to protest but was reminded of the fifth rule and I've learned to follow the rules as a religion. You'll get mad, so let's ignore the details.

Since that day I learned that Kobayashi's work wasn't only limited to the brothel, it was only the tip of the iceberg. And what a tip! Murder, violations, theft, corruption... There is nothing too low for her. I'm only the errand girl, so all the big stuff is left to others, but I've done some things I'm actually not comfortable remembering. Take what I told you as an example. That man was a pig, treating Priya as an object and slapping and punching her. Kobayashi didn't stay behind either, you'll not believe what she said after showing him the video and threatening him.

"Also, don't slap the merch again if you've not paid the extra, we don't want it to go to waste. Otherwise, you'll be forbidden to come again, got it?"

Merch, she called Priya merch...

Anyways, I think I've rumbled again. I was going to talk to you about my job for tomorrow. It involves money, it's the first time she gives me a job involving money without supervision. And what an amount! Three million yen. If someone steals it, I'm dead, there's no doubt.

There's this singer that sent a video to someone she should not have in which she was touching herself and showing her face. Some men that work for Kobayashi took care of it and I have to go to the singer's place to get the rest of the pay. Can you believe that the three million weren't the whole pay? Some people have a lot of money.

Finally, I wanted to say to you that I've convinced her. It took a lot of time, but I was granted the permission to go out for a run and some training every morning. And, no, I don't continue training because of him, it is a must now. Have you seen the situation I'm in right now? I don't even go to real school! Kobayashi signed me up in a school plan that sends you the classes via mail and you just have to attend for the exams. I could not have fallen any lower.

But let's not be pessimistic, at the end of the day, when you've reached the bottom, the only thing left is to rise again... Seeing the girls I must say there are places lower than the bottom, but, if I even get the slightest belief that I'm in danger or something like that I'm running away. It is a promise.

Ah, I almost forgot. Your deathday was two days ago, congratulations. I could not write to you because it was impossible for me to. One of the worst days of my life, period. Remember when you would make fun of me, because you were so intelligent and always had perfect marks while I had normal ones, saying that my life would suck and you'll live the best one? Half of what you said I know for a fact that it's true. I hope that the other one is true too.

Have a perfect day,

Aoi Hayashi.