Stella made a plate for Zach while Kimmy made her own, taking a slice of ham and a few spoonfuls of mashed potatoes and stuffing. When she took some green beans, Stella commented on it, reminding her how Kimmy was usually a picky eater. Green beans were still acquired taste and Kimmy planned on mixing them in with her mashed potatoes to somewhat hide the bland taste.

Wilma had to take over to help feed Zach when Stella tried passing the plate for him to "chow down." He was a man after all. But since he was susceptible to choking, Wilma did not want to take that chance.

"How's school?" Stella asked Kimmy, sitting across from her while they ate.

Kimmy shrugged.

"They tell me your attendance has gotten a lot better."

She nodded. Except for Ryder, this school wasn't so bad, especially having a teacher like Mr. O'Reilly. Kimmy wished she could tell her mom about him, actually. If only Wilma didn't have to be there. A slight hope hid itself in Kimmy's heart she could at least finish the third grade at this school.

Stella continued to talk. "Kayla seems like a good person."

Again, Kimmy nodded. A little too eager than she meant to and the kid noticed her mom react subtly, causing Kimmy to shrink back into her shell.

Stella didn't say anything about it, though. "She sends me pictures of you and makes sure you and Zach get to see each other."

Kimmy just kept on nodding.

Stella was a firm believer in only opening gifts on Christmas. So when Wilma suggested doing the gift exchange once they finished eating, Stella shot her down and insisted the kids wait.

So, the visit remained as it was. This time, Kimmy got to play a board game with their mom instead of just talking and staring at each other. She even found herself having fun like they used to.

Stella continued to ask about school, and about Lucy. When Kimmy confirmed they weren't friends anymore, her mom just rolled her eyes.

"Of course," she said. "You keep friends as well as I keep men." Stella snickered as if it was a joke.

Maybe it was a joke. But Kimmy didn't think it was funny. Hopefully, Claudia was becoming a friend.

"You know, if you just opened that mouth of yours and quit being so stubborn, maybe you would finally make friends."

Kimmy counted in her head how many spaces to move her pawn. She had to constantly start over when her mom reminded her of her shortcomings.

The visit was for two hours this time, twice as long as a regular visit. Since things went well this time Wilma was willing to let the visits continue at the beginning of next year, after the holidays. She needed to talk it over with Leonard but felt Stella was ready for another chance.

Outside in the parking lot, Stella privately pulled Kayla to the side to give her Kimmy's gifts, which she set in the back of the Jeep.

Before they said good-bye, Kayla asked Kimmy if she told her mom about liking a new singer.

Stella first assumed it was a male singer and asked if her daughter was experiencing another crush. When Kayla mentioned it was a woman, there was still some hope on Stella's face. "Hopefully liking this Wynonna lady will finally help drop the tomboy phase."

Kimmy couldn't meet her mom's gaze after that.

Kayla asked if Kimmy wanted to hug her mom, good-bye. But Kimmy turned and headed over to the Jeep instead. Besides, Stella wasn't much of a hugger to begin with. She climbed inside and waited for Kayla. To be honest, Kimmy couldn't wait until they could play more of Wynonna's music and wished she had the confidence to ask Kayla to hurry.