Chapter 2: Emergency

Start from the beginning

"I'll be monitoring your brainwave readings with this machine," said the female doctor. "My name is Dr. Jessica. That's intern Charles."

Ugh, she's attaching cold wires to my chest.

"The other machine with wires attached to your chest will monitor your heartbeat," explained Dr. Jessica. "I can't believe this!"

"What is it, Dr. Jessica?" asked Charles.

Mia's vision had cleared up by now, and she was staring at Charles, who was typing on an electronic tablet. Charles, dressed in scrubs with a stethoscope around his neck, looked young for being a doctor. Mia assumed that must be because he had just graduated recently from university.

Mia glanced at Dr. Jessica, who was also dressed in scrubs with a stethoscope around her neck. She was much older than Charles and had an air of authority.

"Her heart and brain are functioning normally. It's a miracle," exclaimed Dr. Jessica.

"Can I call my mother and go home?" asked Mia.

"You were just struck by lightning. We need to keep you for some time for observation," said Dr. Jessica. "I'll call your mother and let her know."

Mother's going to have a heart attack when she hears about me. She must already be worrying about where I am and if something terrible happened. Why did I lose track of time? I wouldn't be here if I had kept track of time. I wouldn't have been caught in the thunderstorm.

Dr. Jessica moved away from Mia and was now beside Charles, looking at the electronic tablet. She pulled out her phone and dialled a number.

"Hello, is this Mrs. Steve?" asked Dr. Jessica.

"It is," replied Mrs. Steve over the loudspeaker.

Mia was glad to hear her mother's voice. The soothing tone brought comfort to her.

"This is Dr. Jessica. Your daughter is in the hospital," continued Dr. Jessica.

"Hospital! Is she alright?" inquired Mrs. Steve.

"She is in stable condition, but she was struck by lightning," explained Dr. Jessica.

"Oh no!" exclaimed Mrs. Steve. "I'll be over at the hospital shortly. Is she in the emergency room?"

"Yes, your daughter is in the emergency room," said Dr. Jessica.

"Thank you for the call, Dr. Jessica," said Mrs. Steve.

"Welcome, bye," said Dr. Jessica.

"Bye," said Mrs. Steve.

"I'll be leaving you now," said Dr. Jessica to Mia.

"Dr. Jessica, there's something I want to tell you," began Mia.

"We can talk later. I have other patients to see," said Dr. Jessica. "Come on, Charles, let's meet the next patient."

Mia heard footsteps approaching her, but glancing around, no one was approaching her. Her eyes caught sight of a business card lying on the side table beside the patient bed.

Mia reached her arms out and picked it up. There on the card was a phone number and a name: "Grace" followed by "Physics Scientist".

Before Dr. Jessica and Charles could leave Mia, they were swarmed by a middle-aged female reporter and a cameraman.

"I'm reporter Daisy, and this is my cameraman Jacob. May I know what happened to this patient?" asked reporter Daisy.

"Struck by lightning, and she is in stable condition," said Dr. Jessica.