|| Volume 1, Chapter 3 || ''The Robber Barons''

At his main office, Thomas was writing a letter of some sort, when Aurora walked in, sunglasses on, not a care in the world. "Hey, Mister T!"
"You're here." Thomas said most displeased, making Aurora stop and take the glasses off.
"I'm sorry, I sense a negative vibe. But, look at the bright side! I caught the-"
"You broke protocol." Thomas interrupted, getting up and approaching her. "You break protocol. Again, and again, and again. You think you're a hero? You think you can SAVE people? You can't even save your own ass without a gadget. You've failed me for the last time." He said with a stern expression. "T-Thomas, c'mon, you're being-"
"That's Mr. Kennedy to you, Miss Brown." Thomas interrupted once more. "I needed an agent that could create a bright future, help the city become better in ways nobody else could. And all I got was THIS. You disappoint me. Now, get out." Thomas walked to the door, opening it.
"Thomas, you're acting weird. What's going-"
"I said. GET. OUT." Thomas grabbed her by the arm, and threw her through the door, and into the abyss. Suddenly...!

Aurora screamed and raised up in her bed. Her heart was pounding, and she was in a cold sweat. "Breathe... Breathe... It wasn't real." She said to herself repeatedly. On her drawer sat a photo of her and Thomas. She let out a long exhale. "... I can't fail you. I'm... I'm the best." Aurora told herself, trying to be at least decently confident. Once calmed down, she got up and started to dress. She was still trying to shake the dream off. I mean, she did break protocol, and as punishment, was placed into a squad with strangers. Is she really a hero anymore? Since when does a hero need backup? She tried to keep things one thought at a time. She finished dressing and stepped out into the hallway, when she smelled something... good. "Mmm... Gotta give credit where it's due. Is that bacon I smell?" She thought to herself, following it to the living space. Barry was in the kitchen area, cooking breakfast, presumably for the team. Argile was across from him, brewing fresh coffee. And Kali was sitting on the couch in front of the TV, catching up on her latest book. Seemed everyone was having a good morning.

"So, is good cooking in your job description?" Aurora joked, Barry laughing.
"Well, no. My mom's the one who taught me how to cook. I tell you, NOBODY in that house made eggs and bacon quite like my mother did." He said with a smile.
"Don't get him started," Argile looked at Aurora, "Barry could go hours at a time talking about his mother's cooking. It's probably his favorite story to tell." She jokingly said, Barry rolling his eyes.
"Well, it IS my story to tell now, isn't it?" He joked back, Aurora chuckling. Kali seemed unbothered by all the talking, as one should be. Who doesn't love a good read? Aurora sat on the chair next to the couch. "Uh, what'cha reading, Kali?" Aurora awkwardly asked. Of all of her amazing abilities, icebreakers were not on the list.
"O-oh, it's uh, called "The Primary Prepared Participant. It's, uh, well, it's set in the year 2200, where our world has fallen into despair after environmental disasters wreak havoc on the planet. People around the world have chosen to instead immerse themselves in a virtual world to escape the horrors until one day the creator is killed and the one to take over threatens to shut the game off unless anyone can beat him in a competition!" Kali explained with glee, Aurora's eyes widening slightly. "Wow! That, uh, sounds like an interesting read." She said, trying to sound even halfway interested.

Barry and Argile finished up and came to join Kali and Aurora. And with that, Aurora took the remote and turned the TV on. Right when everyone was just about comfortable, there was a knock on the door. "I guess I'll get it." Aurora said, getting up,
"Oh, okay! If you really don't mind." Argile said with a kind smile. Aurora walked over and opened the door, it was Thomas! "Aurora." He said with a serious look.
"Oh, hey Tom. What's up?" Aurora said with an anxious heart, after last night's dream. Thomas let himself in, walking towards the other members, Aurora following. "Everyone. You're needed." He said loudly, the other members looking at him rather shocked.
"Wait, WE'RE needed? Really??" Argile said excitedly, standing up.
"You sure you got the right crew?" Barry asked, partly sarcastic.
"Awesome! I can finally test my weaponry!" Kali exclaimed happily, pulling out a notepad. Aurora looked at Thomas,
"I'm confused, what's going on?" She asked, getting back to the original point.