Ⅶ. It's a family matter

Start from the beginning

He tilted his head slightly, looking even more confused "Was he able to get a day off from work?" Tsumugi started messing with his hair but he remained indifferent. "I don't know, he just randomly called asking if he could come over." I shrugged, brushing a tentative hand over Tsumugi's head. She seemed too occupied with Harue's hair, though. "I see." He spoke softly, suddenly peppering my little girl in kisses and tickling her while she giggled uncontrolably. She'd always loved her Uncles, and to their credit, they took great care of her. Even Y/n, despite not being home often. He always made sure to send gifts and stay in contact.

"Now that you're here, you can take of dinner while I finish cleaning. I'll come help you in a bit." He sighed dramatically, putting Tsumugi down with a soft grunt before making his way to the kitchen "What am I even making?" I fixed Tsumugi's hair before looking up at him again "For Y/n's return, let's make his favourite." He nodded, grabbing the nessecary supplies from the fridge and cabinet. "Should just give him leftovers honestly..." I could hear him mumble under his breath, making me shake my head as I returned to my earlier duties "Hush you."

While Harue and I finished up dinner, cleaning dishes and setting the table, we heard the front door open down the hall. Tsumugi dropped her pencils and abondoned her drawing to run towards the door "UNCLE Y/N!" She jumped into his arms as he lifted her up with ease "I missed you too sweet pea." He hugged her tightly after lazily kicking off his shoes. I'll tell him off for that later. He joined us in the kitchen, basicly getting suffocated by her. "What's up guys, dinner already served?" He asked with a smug grin while handing me the bag of groceries I'd asked for. The bag was too heavy for just some paper towels, bread and eggs. I looked inside and found various sweets, among them Tsumugi's favourite cookies. 

With  Tsumugi still in his arms, he gave Harue a side hug who happily returned it. Then he looked over to me, gesturing for a hug from me as well. As much as I didn't want to, I caved. I hadn't seen him in too long and he's been worrying the lifespan out of me these past few weeks. "How've you been man?" Harue asked with a bright smile, patting our brothers back. "Ah you know, just going through the motions." Despite his energetic demeanour, he looked tired. As tired as he sounded when he called me. What could have happened to dim his fire to such an extend?

As if on queue, the front door opened again. "I'm home." Batton's dry voice sounded from down the hall as he closed the door behind him with a loud thud. I could hear him stopping fpr a moment, probably recognising Y/n's shoes. He joined us in the kitchen as well, a displeased expression painting his features. Tsumugi surprisingly enough didn't want to move from Y/n's arms. I wish Batton would try harder to bond with her.

I gave him a pleading glance, just wanting them to get allong. Even if it was just for tonight. He rolled his eyes, crossing his arms while leaning against the counter "Y/n." He turned around, eyeing my husband coldy before speaking up "Batton." At least they greeted each other by their first names. That's progress in some capacity. "So who's hungry?" Harue cut through the tension in the air with his energtic tone, easing my mind slightly. "I'm starving." Y/n laughed, putting Tsumugi back on the ground. Which she was very displeased with "I have to help set the table sweetie. You can sit with me while we eat, okay?" She nodded excitedly, running into the dining room. 

After collectively setting the table, I could see Y/n eyeing his favourite dish with practically dilated pupils "No way you guys made my favourite." He muttered in disbelief, gaining a laugh from Harue "It was Emi's idea, to be fair. I planned on feeding you leftovers." Y/n shot him a glare, smacking him across the head. Harue sometimes forgets he's the youngest of us, but Y/n always makes sure to remind him any chance given "I'll feed you leftovers if you're not careful." Harue huffed in annoyance, fixing his likely messed up hair. I could see he wanted to cuss the living soul out of Y/n but I gave him a warning glance, gesturing to my daughter who sat on our brother's lap.