"what?" she slowed her clapping to face her, a bit confused.

"oh, my bad, i was just thinking out loud."

✧︎―︎―︎ 》︎♖︎《︎ ―︎―︎✧︎

"rr-ding!"
a little bell on the library door chimes as it swings open.

"y'know for someone who claims to be atheist, you sure love to bring up angels and the afterlife." agnes approached, leaning against the wooden desk and smirking. "loved the speech, a lot of emotion put into it."

"i'm theistic agnostic, thank you very much." lukas sighed, pretending to be frustrated with agnes's antics. though, while back being turned to her, he smiled slightly.

"thanks for the help on it, i don't think i could've written it quite as well without your assistance."

she rolled her eyes playfully "all i ever do is think, so i guess it doesn't hurt to share my thoughts once in a while."

the speech itself was partially written by her. influenced by some of agnes's own works. a historical recounting in the perspective of someone living through it - along with some of her more metaphorical and abstract interpretations.

and obviously lukas's own experience having been a close friend of jesse's himself.

he turns back around, shuffling some papers and tucking them into the filing cabinet below his desk. probably important librarian documents, if she had to guess.

"it's been a crazy couple of months, agnes." lukas breathed a sigh from his nose, resting his tired-looking eyes and attention back onto her.

she chuckled dryly "yeah, tell me about it."

"took a lot out of me. having to confront it all again. so owe you one, for at least sparing me a little." lukas smiled warmly. and just for a moment, he looked a lot older than his years.

"hey, chin a bit, yeah? i heard petra's on her way back home again. you two still close?" agnes attempted to reason.

he shrugged, averting his gaze to the desk top "sort of. she's dealing with grief in a very... different way" he paused "throwing herself into new adventures, getting involved with new people, overworking herself. though i guess we all cope differently."

agnes stepped aside to reach for one of the chairs tucked into one of the library tables, scooting it back over to lukas's front desk and taking a seat and slinging her bag onto the floor next to her. "it sounds really unhealthy - have you talked to her about it?"

"i haven't really had the opportunity. she doesn't stay in town for more than a few days before she's off again" lukas sighs, drumming his fingers on the desk. "and setting up all the paperwork for the library, plus building it, on top of founding day duties, and my book i'm working on, i've just been really busy and stressed."

"if need be, i'm always here to help you. i could take some stuff off your plate, lighten the load a bit."

agnes folds her arms, analyzing his reaction.

"and don't say no either. i know you like to attempt to handle everything on your own but there comes a time when asking for help is necessary. that's what friends are for, lukas." she grins.

he pauses, looking her in the eyes for a moment "i really have no clue how you do it."

she hums, confused.

"i mean how you read people. how you always know what to say." he smirks and chuckles "maybe therapy should've been your thing, not history."

"nah, i'm pretty content with things right now. but i might pick it up on the side. i do a little bit of everything anymore." agnes laughs softly

lukas sighs a bit in defeat, turning in his chair to reach down back into the filing cabinet, taking out a few folders and miscellaneous packets.

"if you really wanna do me a big favor," he places them on the desk top "could you take these down to the order hall? ask for radar, he typically handles all the official stuff regarding beacon town's businesses and financials. i need these in, if i wanna get the library up and running anytime soon."

"absolutely, you got the right gal for the job." she gives a little finger gun motion and grabs the stack of documents, carefully placing them into her bag.

he seemed relieved, which made agnes inwardly celebrate a little. it made her feel nice when she did favors for folks she cared about. especially close friends, like lukas. he deserves a break more than anyone.

"thanks a million, aggie. i really wouldn't trust anyone else with them."
he leans in for a hug. and if agnes didn't know any better, she would think he looked a little apprehensive in doing so. but still, she wrapped her arms around one of her closest friends.

"it's no problem at all. i'm happy to help in any way i can."
agnes stands from her seat and puts the chair back in its place, gathering her bag and preparing to leave.

before reaching for the doorknob, she pauses, taking a long look around her.

tall, dark colored wooden bookshelves were lined in multiple isles, reaching to the very back of the library. on the other side held a collection of round tables in the same dark caramel-colored wood stain as the shelves. if she had to guess, spruce or dark oak. and behind the tables was a gorgeous stained glass window, a kaleidoscope-like pattern that left colorful streaks of light from the afternoon sunlight shining through. neat black tile - blackstone perhaps? - really brought out the color. the library really was gorgeous.

"you know, this really suits you, lukas. i'm really proud of you." she smiled and winked before stepping outside into the mid-spring breeze.