Chapter 30: A heartfelt reunion

Start from the beginning

There, for almost more than a year, they were tested before another set of the surviving best subjects were to be moved to Germany.

Once Chang had said all, Imyong was taken out.

Sungmin looked at Chang, "You know I never trusted people and the one I trusted turned out to be a monster. Not because you betrayed me but because of the suffering you have caused to so many young adults and their families."

Saying this, Sungmin left the room to head back to his home. After he had gone, Yoeun-Ho inquired Chang about the facility's location and compared it with the one the men told them. Once it was confirmed, he left to go there.

The facility was in the Gangnam district of Seoul, on an off-skirt forest. The forest was densely packed with trees, and they shadowed the facility. It would have been hard to spot it, and when Yoeun-Ho compared the location with the fire incident report, he confirmed that the incident had happened there only. A team of officers arrived at the facility while the families of the victims were contacted. Yoeun-Ho contacted the Park family about Ibuki. When they heard the news, they were filled with comfort and relief. Rui decided to go to Gangnam while the rest of the family stayed back.

The officers quickly disarmed any guards at the facility and made their way in. The conditions of the facility horrified them. One group went in to release the subjects. When they were out, hopping in relief and joy upon their freedom, they were identified with the list of those who were missing.

When Ibuki got out, he ran his eyes around, expecting to see his mother as everyone else had their families and parents waiting for them there.

Seeing Ibuki looking about, Officer Lee approached him and asked, "What happened?"

"I am looking for my mother."

Yoeun-Ho sighed at the sight of Ibuki, who looked weak and drained, like a lifeless body. Although he did not want to break his heart anymore, given the suffering he had gone through, he eventually chose to tell him the truth.

"I am sorry to inform you, but your mother passed away months earlier."

Ibuki did not react or cry. He had seen enough death to be broken by this news anymore. Rather, he smiled, "At least she won't get to look at me in this form. So dead and weak."

"Are you sure you are okay?" Yoeun-Ho asked in response to Ibuki's reaction.

"Yes, I guess, officer. I have seen deaths around me and have nearly faced it myself. My mother's death aches me, but I have no more tears to cry. So I smile."

Yoeun-Ho looked at Ibuki's condition and figured he needed medical attention. He took Ibuki with him and made him stand with him near his car. While waiting there, Yoeun-Ho asked Ibuki about what had happened at the facility for the time he was there. Ibuki revealed all the horrifying details of torture and drug trials. Although hesitant in revealing the torment he had faced, he went ahead with describing it in detail, including the pain that he had felt. Yoeun-Ho was surprised at how Ibuki managed to bear such unimaginable pain. After waiting there for a while, Yoeun-Ho saw Rui arrive.

"I think someone is here to take you," Yoeun-Ho said.

Ibuki looked at Rui approach them and he smiled. Rui ran to them and was relieved at the sight of Ibuki. He had feared that he would be no more.

He hugged Ibuki, who felt himself lose his emotions. He finally wept his pain out. The pain of his torment, separation from family, losing Woshi and Ji-Bok, losing his mother, losing his youth and life.

Rui looked at the scars and wounds on Ibuki's body. His hair was a mess, he looked feeble, and his eyes were lightless and lifeless. Rui could tell the sleepless nights Ibuki had.