Chapter 4

VOID ...

Phoebe felt pressure as if she was underwater, her ears ringing in protest to the sudden change. Everything had turned black, and she paused, unsure how to proceed, and feeling as if she were done for. Then, behind her shoulder, she saw another glowing presence. Phoebe quickly turned to see.. Melody.

She stumbled back a little in surprise.

"Didn't mean to scare you," Melody said, with a sniffle of amusement, "I came to say hi.. I can't stay for long."

Phoebe noticed that Melody's figure was less bright than usual, with no flames present, and her clothing choice was different— awfully similar to what Phoebe was wearing. It was almost like...

"Are you okay?" Melody asked with concern.

Phoebe almost stammered, but managed to reply, "I miss you so much..."

"I do too, But i'm still with you right?" Melody said reassuringly, though Phoebe found it odd that she was asking. "Talk to me."

Phoebe felt a pang of unease at the unusual exchange.

"I don't know what to say. I-I just want you- here."

"Talk to me, vent to me.
About anything." Melody insisted, gently brushing her shoulder, "That doesn't matter right now. We're running out of time and I'm here to listen to you. I care."

Now quiet, Phoebe thought..

She took a short inhale before pouring out her first thoughts, "I wish I was like other people. It gets kind of lonely? You would think having a passion for something means you would be liked- it would make you interesting or something, but nobody else functions like me. People think I'm rude. I'm not rude; I want to try. Everyone else has a good understanding of the world but nobody can see that I do try," She said, gently tugging at her shirt, fidgeting but focused, "I'm only a little broken. I don't want those cracks fixed; I want someone who loves me even with them,"

Her voice picked up, less fragile, "Fighting for good things shouldn't be seen as bad, nor should be dressing differently. Not looking someone in the eye doesn't mean I'm not listening. If something is loud, I shouldn't be blamed for noticing. Thinking a little differently shouldn't be strange; showing when I'm happy," She continued with a short, breathy sort of amusement, "I'm smarter than you. Why is that a bad thing because of who I am?

"I want to be understood. I don't know how I want to be seen. But I feel invisible," Phoebe admitted, her voice slightly catching on her last words, but she quickly regained her composure, "I don't know how to be treated the same, or honestly, why I'm not. I feel like an alien."

"But a really smart one," Melody chimed in, trying to lighten the mood gently.

Phoebe cracked a smile, "A really smart one," She repeated softly.

"..You.." Phoebe began again, her words slower as her mind eased, "Came up to me. I don't know why either, but you did. You weren't forced by anyone- y-you really did that." She paused, letting the significance of the moment sink in. "You saw me.. and you're the invisible one. You're a ghost."

"So thank you, I guess," Phoebe thanked her shyly, "I love that— I love you." A few inches away from Melody.

Suddenly everything went black.