Chapter 2

As soon as Jack was cured, Mabel explained to him what he had to do: beg for money on the street and, at the end of the day, buy something to eat or to heal themselves if they were sick.

"And why don't you go to the streets asking for money?" Jack asked when he heard the woman's idea.

"Because somebody's got to keep the kids," she replied eloquently.

"And why can't it be me?"

"Because... because...

"There, I'll ask for money," after giving in, he rolled his eyes.

"Ah! Besides, tonight I need you to stay with them."

"Why?"

"Because I'm going to see the mail at the old house. I don't think they know yet that we stopped living in that house."

"Okay. I can keep them."

The lack of money in that family prevented them from having a telephone, or something on which they could communicate. Therefore, all his family and friends were aware that he could only communicate with them by mail.

It was ten o'clock in the morning when Jack left and seven in the afternoon when he returned. I didn't have much with me, other than a bag from a fast-food restaurant and a few bottles of water.

"How much did you earn?" Mabel asked as soon as he got home.

— Four dollars and thirty-five cents. And I can't believe I've won so much! I was expecting just a few cents... There were a few people who stopped to talk to me. They wanted to know what had happened to me. When I explained to them that I had children, they started giving me tons of money," Jack said. There was silence for a few moments, and then Jack continued the conversation.

Peter and Chase soon appeared, and upon seeing them, Jack stopped talking.

"Dad, are we going to dinner tonight?" Chase asked.

"Yes, we will." Jack said, really happy.

Jack sat down on the floor. He put down the bottles, which were not very large. Then he opened the bag. He took off his cap, which was torn and dirty.

Jack had brought only a few snacks that not even a person could satisfy his hunger.

"Is that all?" Peter asked.

"Yes. The money was not enough for more.

"Oh," Peter muttered.

When they finished dinner, Jack piled up the garbage in a corner of the house. There was nothing left. Peter and Chase had licked the packets, hoping that their hunger would subside.

After dinner, Mabel left. Jack stayed to take care of the children.

Took a great walk. He went through restaurants and brand stores. She stopped at a few, dazzling in their dresses. Seeing the woman, who was filthy, the store maids ordered her to leave. Mabel complied without resistance.

When he finally arrived at his old house, he put his arm inside the box. He managed to get the mail out, at great cost. When their house was taken away, the key to their mailbox was also taken from them.

They had only two cards. One of them did not count as a letter, as it was only mere advertising. Another was a letter from an uncle of Jack's, who happened to be with them a few weeks earlier. They had lunched with him, and at that lunch, a great fiasco had ensued.

A mild mood hung in the air when Jack heard the doorbell ringing. To everyone's surprise, it was Jack's uncle, who had just come from a trip.

"Jack! You forgot! Today we were going to lunch! We are all in the car waiting for you!"