Strange Librarian

Začať od začiatku

"Oh, here." She stood and raced over. "I think the tension's loose." She re-threaded it and turned a knob, and the picture became clear.

I thanked her and turned to the next Friday the 13th, 1985.

There was a photograph of a family with a little girl, standing in a vineyard. Her parents held glasses of wine while the girl held the most luscious-looking grapes I'd ever seen. It was her. Morrigan.

In Loving Memory: The Mystery of the Halloways.

We gather in somber reflection to remember the mysterious Morrigan Halloway and her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Halloway. Their lives were shrouded in mystery, and their untimely departure on the chilling night of September, Friday the 13th, 1985, has left our community in a state of bewilderment and sorrow.

The Halloways, proprietors of the renowned yet curiously secretive vineyard, were known for their reclusive nature and their delightfully unique wine. Morrigan, a reserved yet deeply observant individual, exuded an air of mystery that matched her family's aura.

The vineyard, well-regarded but accompanied by whispers of inexplicable occurrences, added to the mystique that surrounded the family. Morrigan's passing, along with that of her parents, has cast an even greater shadow over their story, inviting questions that may forever remain unanswered.

Amidst our shared grief, may we honor their memory by embracing the complexity of their lives and the riddle they have left behind. Though their journey ended in mystery, may they find solace in the peace that eluded them in life.

Rest in peace, dear Halloways, and the mysterious legacy you leave behind. You live on in the echoes of our thoughts.

I pulled out my journal and wrote so many things. It was no wonder she didn't remember. No one seemed to know them to begin with.

The librarian flipped open a hardcover book and skimmed with her finger. I walked over and hesitantly asked, "Do you know anything about this vineyard?" I showed her the copy I'd made of Morrigan's obituary including the photo.

She smacked her gum and glanced around. "You mean like, the creepy stuff?"

I glanced off, then nodded.

"So, I don't know much about it, but there was weird stuff going on over there. Like, they moved in and planted the grapevines—which literally all died by the way—then suddenly everything was thriving." She raised her eyebrows and flipped her hands over like I should get what that meant. "And so, after they died, the investigators said there was a strong wind that blew a tree through the house and all kinds of stuff, but literally the rest of the town was fine. Most people were fine with that answer. It was straightforward, ya know? People don't like things they don't understand." She stared at me, waiting for a reply, but I didn't know what to say.

"You think I'm crazy, but it really happened." She blew a bubble with her gum and it popped, leaving a sickly-sweet smell in the air.

I wished I could share this with someone. My stomach rolled again, thinking about how that girl ran off at the school library.

Was it a good idea to share this stuff with Morrigan? If I didn't, she'd never help me make friends, and she'd never get to move on. How did I become responsible for helping a spirit move on? I'd called her here. What did I expect?

I'd tell her as soon as I got home. But what would she think about people not remembering her family?

***

"Yes, I remember a vineyard!" Morrigan stared at the copy I made. "And my parents! I can see them now! We have to go to the vineyard."

"As much fun as that sounds, we can't. Mom would never take me there without a good explanation. Not only that but there must be others living there by now."

Her form flitted and turned a dark shade of red. I leaned back and her face dropped.

"Sorry. I understand." She said, but I could tell she was forcing a smile. "But isn't this fun?" She asked. "We can't stop now."

I shook my head. We really couldn't. It was way too exciting. Now I had my own full-blown mystery to solve. My skin crawled with joy.

Morrigan scooted by my side, her form thickening. Her eyes gray and her pupils small, she rasped out a whisper, "Go where I was buried. See if you can find anything else."

***

Authors Note: Read the rest now for free when you follow me on Ream at reamstories.com/candyewrites and gain early access to future works.

If you enjoyed this chapter, please don't forget to vote :)