She walked inside, taking in the sight of Rory shoving books into a bag and eating a pop tart, two more in the toaster. 

"Hey, what's u-" She started to say but was interrupted by Rory, who turned to look at her with some kind of anger in her eyes. 

"Why didn't you wake me up? Or mom?" She asked, swallowing her food. 

"Sorry, I thought you set an alarm, I mean, I always wake up early, I wasn't sure." She spluttered over the words, placing the mug on the countertop, fiddling with the hem of her skirt. Rory looked shiny and new in her school uniform, the skirt and shirt new and ironed. She knew that her uniform looked more lived in, her skirt shorter, falling softly mid-thigh, and her saddle shoes had been swapped for mary janes in her second year. She had pulled on the school's sweater vest, letting her blouse peak out from beneath it, her hair smoothed back into a messy bun. 

"Well, it would've been nice to at least consider the fact that it's my first day and I can't be late!" Rory snapped, zipping her bag shut. 

Gabby frowned, "I'm sorry. I swear I wasn't trying to-" 

"Just go and warm up the car okay?" Rory exhaled and Gabby nodded, grabbing her own bag, a leather satchel from her parents, disappearing out the back door, heading towards the car. She had figured that Rory would be stressed on her first day of school, but it wasn't her fault, and they weren't even going to be late. She put her bag in the back and turned the car on, letting the jeep purr to life as she took her seat in the back, brushing back a piece of hair that fell free, tucking it behind her ear. She didn't understand why Rory seemed to really hate her, and why she was so awkward around her or why she couldn't bring herself to tell her anything about herself, why she remained polite and cold. 

She let the car warm up, the sound of the engine soothing her as she fiddled with the diamond in her ear, the earrings that her father brought her on her last birthday. 

"Hey Gabs, I like your earrings." Lorelai greeted, sliding into the driver seat. 

"Thanks, Dad got me the studs and my friend got me the little stars." She said, smiling at the compliment. 

"Right, come on then girls." Lore exhaled and reversed out of the driveway, silence falling over the trio. 

By the time they got to school, Gabby had bitten her lip so furiously that it no longer tasted of strawberry. Seeing Marcus at the front of the school, holding two takeaway drink cups, she sighed in relief, opening the door before Lorelai had turned the car off. 

"Um, well, the headteacher's office is down there, I'll see you later Lore, good look Rory. Bye." She waved over her shoulder and went over to Marcus who was watching with his eyebrows raised. "What?" She asked, feeling two pairs of blue eyes settle on the sight of her and the tall, tanned boy handing her a hot chocolate. She groaned as he smiled sweetly. 

"Your niece looks nice." He commented. 

"Don't even start." She pointed at him threateningly, biting back the smile that showed how happy she was that he was in a good mood. 

"No, I'm serious. And is that your sister, she seems nice too. Should we go over and say hello?" Marcus teased, looking over at the two who were still looking at them. 

"I will cut off your balls with nail clippers." She threatened, and he laughed loudly, looking down at her from his unfair height advantage of being six foot. 

"But I brought you hot chocolate." He whined playfully, trailing after her as she started to walk off, towards the bench. 

"I don't care, Johnson." She called over her shoulder, smile pulling at the corners of her lips as she hurried away from him, careful to not spill her precious beverage.