Osman was greatly hurt. He was taken to Sheikh Edebali's small settlement, where Osman could heal. Selcan Hatun and Mihrimah snuck out of the tribe, so Selcan could tend to Omsan.

Bala had secretly given Osman a handkerchief, he could hold on to, until Sheikh Edebali approved of them to marry. Edebali gave the handkerchief to a blushing Bala, to hold on to it. Selcan smiled and said. ''Eh, Sheikh'm, if they can't be together, a handkerchief is enough to hold them close.''

Mihrimah pondered about what Selcan said, but didn't understand. ''How can a handkerchief bring together two people?''

Selcan was about to answer, but Sheikh beat her to it.''Young Mihrimah. A woman who gives a man either a handkerchief or a scarf is not only a sign of respect. But it is also a way to tell what words can't.''

''Like what?''

''Like showing cherishness or deep affection to your beloved.''

Mihrimah's eyes widened and shook her head, while she said to herself. ''Estagfirullah, Mihrimah, what are you thinking of.'' She paid for the scarf and headed to Toprak, who was ready to head home too.

Drums could be heard over the whole Kayi Tribe. The crowd had gathered near the Bey's tent, where Osman awaited with his alps. He was informed that Seljuk Vizier Alemshah was coming to the tribe. When he arrived, one of his servants kneeled down, so the Vizier could use him as a stepping stool, when he descended from his horse. The whole tribe gave him a disapproving look of his behaviour.

''Welcome to the Kayi tribe, Vizier Alemshah.'' Osman stood tall and greeted the man.

The Vizier eyed Osman up and down with an arrogant expression. He didn't say anything, but only walked past Osman like he was no one and entered the Bey's tent, with Commander Konur behind him. Osman Bey followed him inside along with his brother, Gunduz Bey.

''His eyes carry evil. Kayi is a good tribe and he came to ruin its reputation.'' Selcan exclaimed disdainfully.

Ayşe Hatun looked at Selcan confused. ''Ana, he just arrived. Why do you say that?''

''His eyes reminded me of Saadettin Kopek. He has evil within him. I know a lot of things about people, kizim. I can see the difference between bravery and betrayal from far away.''

When the doors behind Osman and Gunduz Bey closed, Vizier Alemshah sat down on the Bey's seat like it was his own, still having the arrogant expression on his face. Konur stood beside the seat like any commander would.

''Osman Bey. I came here to end an era. The era of whatever you're doing has come to an end.'' the Vizier said but was interrupted by Osman, who challenged him. ''Complete your sentence, Vizier.''

''You forbade Turkmen tribes to do business with the Tekfurs. And then you make an agreement with Saguros, the Governor of Iznik. Yet... who did you get permission from?''

''Why should I ask permission, if it's for the well-being of Turkmens?''

''From Konya, Osman Bey. From Konya.''

''Is there a free state in Konya to ask permission from?'' Osman was steady in his decision.

Alemshah's patience was running thin. ''Know your limits, Osman Bey! You raid places, take mines. What is your intention, Osman Bey. And you're questioning the freedom of your state?''