"I know how you feel, and my leg isn't making things easier." He sighed, and looked down at his leg. "It'll be over soon, Til, we'll get Mike, and Josh and just go home." His voice wavered, not believing his own words.

Matilda nodded, not knowing what to say back, instead gave Chris' side a supportive squeeze, the two continuing to walk in silence.

~

A CURVED arch ahead of them caught the attention of the group one by one, Sam hurried ahead, followed by Ashley, the two pointing up to something out of Matilda's view, but eventually she saw it. Ladders. Broken ladders.

"The ladder..." Emily began.

Ashley tilted her head back and groaned, only now seeing the fate of the ladder. "It's busted, what the hell are we supposed to do now?"

Despite the group seemingly giving up hope, Sam stepped forward, hands loose on her hips she nodded to herself. "I think I can make it." She looked back to the group, and gestured to the wall. "It's like a rock climbing wall, see? I think I can handle it."

Matilda frowned. "Are you sure? We don't know what's up there."

"Yeah," Nodded Emily. "are you sure you don't want us to come with?" The girl watched as Sam grabbed various rocks, checking to see which would hold her weight best.

"Em, I'll be fine, just get back to the lodge and stay safe, okay? I'll come back with Mike and Josh," She looked back to the group. "I promise."

The group watched with surprise as they watched Sam seamlessly climb up the wall, eventually, she was in reaching distance of the broken ladder and jumped sidewards to grab it. Pulling herself up, she let out a tired gasp as she reached the flat surface high above the group.

"Holy crap." Chris said in amazement, eyes wide.

Matilda nodded, despite knowing he wouldn't be able to see her do so. "Stay safe Sam, please. We'll see you soon."

"I will, I will you guys, scouts honour." She gave the group a salute before turning around and out of sight.

Emily blew out a long breath and hugged herself. "Not to be like... Negative, but I feel a lot less safer now she's gone." Her lips pursed into a line as she glanced at the three before her.

"No... I know what you mean." Admitted Matilda, a chill running down her spine. "Let's just get back to the lodge, you guys remember the way?"

Ashley nodded, pointing her flashlight to where they'd come from. "Yeah, I made a list of things I saw on the way here in case something happened." She manoeuvred past Chris and Matilda, beginning to walk, though her strides weren't confident.

"Do you think she'll be okay?" Emily asked to Matilda and Chris, her head looking over her shoulder to where Sam had gone.

Chris nodded, pushing up his glasses as he did so. "Yeah-yeah of course, I mean its Sam, what can't she do?" He stretched his leg out, wincing, but not as much as he had been other times. He turned to Matilda. "I'm going to try and walk on it without help, okay?" As he spoke, Matilda opened her mouth. "I'll stay close." He smiled slightly, reading her mind, she closed her mouth.

Though he was still slow, Chris was able to move on his own, Ashley wasn't far ahead of them, and Emily had hung back to walk beside Matilda. Now they were in no rush to head somewhere, the group took their time heading back to the lodge, letting themselves catch their breath.

"Do you think it'll be safer there? In the lodge, I mean." Ashley asked, stopping to let the group catch up. "I've been thinking about it, this place is a tomb, maybe we'd be safer down here until dawn?"

Emily scoffed, and kicked a piece of small rubble with her boot. "It'll be our tomb if those things come from either direction. We'll be safer in the lodge, at least there's like a dozen exits." She tutted, and waited for Ashely to continue walking again.

Routinely, Matilda looked behind herself, she wasn't sure if her mind was playing tricks on her or if she was really hearing something. She thought about telling the group, but decided against it, unsure if she was hearing anything at all.

Beams of light coming from the sewer grate shone into the ground before the group. Ashley sighed with relief, and hurried toward it, beginning to make her way up toward the grate. Once she reached it, grunted out curses as she struggled to push it up and off the hole. "There!" She exclaimed triumphantly.

Chris went next, Matilda and Emily stood at the bottom with their arms raised but it wasn't needed, as he managed to climb up and out of the hole on his own, calling himself a 'master climber' in the process.

"You go next." Matilda offered, looking behind herself once more, her brows pinched, certain she heard something that time. "Guys..." She began, as Emily made quick work of the ladders. The group looked down at her with tilted heads.

Far into the darkness, a loud gargled screech echoed through the tunnel.

Matilda looked up at the three, her wide eyed face soaked in light. "Guys you need to run, now!"

Brave: Increased
Charitable: Increased

can you believe we're
nearing the end ‼️