So Many Surprises

Depuis le début

*•*

And so you don't mention it again.
Although you come close when you have a nightmare about your mom and her boyfriends and climb into Tomura and Dabi's bed again in the middle of the night, Dabi's arms always curling automatically around the body closest to him.
Tomura is awake, as always, scrolling through his phone idly.

The screen light reflects off his hair, making it look almost angelic, like in the movies when people glowed because they were going to heaven.

"Your hair is pretty, 'Mura. Like the moon." You say sleepily, playing with the ends of his hair as you fight sleep off.

"Oh yeah?" He says, clearly entertained. "If I'm the moon, and you're Star, what does that make Touya?"

You think about it for a second, yawning and closing your eyes properly, still holding on to the new braid you'd made in Tomura's hair.

"The sun, 'cause he burns." You murmur eventually.

Tomura snorts, resting his hand on your head.

"Go to sleep, brat."

*•*

When Tomura had come back from wherever he had gone during the day, he's holding a plastic cage, and there are two men you don't recognise behind him carrying boxes and plastic bags.
Hakuchō looks warily over at them all, sitting next to Zero at the table as he works through a worksheet with her, too.
Dabi peers up next to you, raising an eyebrow when he sees Tomura, and then when you all hear a 'mrreow' come from the box, you freeze.

"No way." Dabi says beside you in disbelief.

"Cat!" You yell, as Tomura smirks and crouches, setting the box on the floor.

"Yes, a cat." Tomura responds, opening the metallic door. "His name is Cloud."

"Like the nerd from your game?!" Dabi asks sourly.

"There's another reason behind it, too." Tomura snorts.

You're not paying attention to their bickering, already neglecting your biology book to get onto the floor and try to pet the long haired calico cat that was taking careful steps into the room.

"He's friendly." Tomura says, leaving the cage on the floor and walking back to order the two other men around, telling them where to leave everything.

"He's so cute!" You coo, gently petting the top of Cloud's head. "Hakuchō, do you think Shinsou would like him?"

Hakuchō doesn't respond, she never really did whenever you tried to approach her, and just stares dead-eyed at the cat as it seems to turn to liquid to try and avoid you petting his back as he tries to explore the kitchen.
Zero watches Cloud approach carefully with his usual soft smile, leaning forward to pet Cloud with the backs of his fingers as soon as he's close enough.
Cloud sniffs his hand for a second before arching his back and hissing in disapproval, making Zero move his hand away and hum.

"That's not nice, Cloud. That's Uncle Zero! He's a friend." You tell the cat, as though it understands.

Dabi hasn't said a word this entire time, just staring at the cat in surprise.

"It's because I don't have a smell." Zero says simply.

"Everyone has a smell. Dabi smells like smoke, Himiko smells like flowers, and Uncle Jin smells like smoke and sweat!" You argue.

"I don't have a smell because I'm dead." Zero shrugs, still smiling. "It's probably unsettling for our new furry friend."

"Can you tell what Cloud's feeling?" You ask Zero, petting the cat who had done the rounds and returned to you.