Loss

Giran didn't stop spoiling you, even in the morning.
He pulled one of his thick sweaters over your head so you wouldn't get cold again while walking around his house in your pyjamas, humming as he made pancakes for you both, smoking the whole while.

"My daughter'll be joinin' us a little later." He informs you, ruffling your hair as he slides your plate in front of you.

You hum an acknowledgement, your eyes widening when you see the pile of pancakes and ice cream and fruit on your plate.
Giran chuckles at this, sliding into the seat opposite.

"You're lookin' healthier these days, lil' Star. We wanna keep tha' up now, don't we?" He asks with a smirk.

"Healthier?" You ask curiously.

"Yeah!" He nods. "Yer fillin' out. It's nice ta see. You were always so... small."

You hum thoughtfully.  "Mom forgot to cook sometimes."

He gives you a sympathetic smile and encourages you to dig in, watching with a sparkle in his pink eyes as he watches you enthusiastically eat your breakfast.

"Excited to see yer paw?" He asks once you're halfway into your breakfast.

"Mhm! I'm gonna show him the ducks we painted! He likes ducks a lot!" You reply with a mouthful of food. "He said we can see them again soon!"

Giran smiles at you, his eyes gentle. "Ya know Star. It's bad manners ta talk with yer mouth full."

"Oop." You mumble, embarrassed. "Sorry."

He waves at you dismissively, about to speak before someone walks into the kitchen and interrupts him.

"Ah. Aiko." He greets, grinning at her.

There was no doubt about it, it was definitely his daughter. He had enough pictures of her hanging over the house. Her own pink eyes widen and then narrow when she sees you.

"Who's kid is this?" She asks, gesturing towards you, not even greeting her dad properly.

You felt a little uncomfortable being spoken about as though you were an unwanted item in a room, slowly chewing your food instead of enthusiastically devouring it like you had been.

"This is Dabi's lil' girl." Giran introduces you. "Star, this is my daughter, Aiko."

"Hello..." You greet shyly, trying to brave the fire behind her eyes at the mere mention of Dabi.

"Little girl?" She seethes, frowning directly at you. "Who'd he have a kid with?"

"He's not my real dad..." You mumble, hoping that'll soothe her anger. "He just helped me when-"

"A stray?" She snorts. "Dabi picked up a stray?"

"Aiko." Giran warns, his voice the sternest you'd ever heard it.

You flinch at this, despite it not being aimed directly towards you.
Giran notices straight away, rubbing your arm gently to try to soothe you.
Aiko huffs, tying up her long hair, and pressing a quick kiss to Giran's cheek before picking his empty plate up and going to wash it up.
He gives you an apologetic smile, his thumb running over the back of your hand.

"Dabi coming to pick her up?" She asks, once again speaking like you weren't capable of answering yourself.

You wonder how she could be so mean and cold when Giran was so warm and kind.

"Later." Giran replies with a grin. "Don' get too excited now."

"Oh shut it." She replies, rolling her eyes as she turns around, leaning on the kitchen counter and finally regarding you with a neutral expression.