Just Listen

You had been minding your own business, although it wasn't like you had much else to do anyway besides sleep when you got too exhausted to stay awake and sit up staring at the walls, pretending you were talking to Dabi and the others in your head.
Nurse Wani has been sitting nearby quietly for a while like she usually did, not doing much but at least you knew she was there if you decided you felt like talking to someone in real life.
In your head, you were explaining how the tube in your nose works to Dabi as she uses it to feed you, holding the syringe above your head wordlessly. She never forced you to talk if you weren't feeling like it, only ever throwing odd comments out here and there to fill the space occasionally, but nothing that you had to respond to.

She's finishing up when the door opens and Hakuchō walks in.

"Get out." You demand immediately.

If you had the choice you would never see her again. She took you away from the only happiness, comfort and safety you had ever known and you despise her for it.

"Star." Wani warns firmly but gently.

You glare at the winged girl in your room for a moment, watching as her face turns from nervous, to shocked, too guilty and then nervous again.

"No." You reiterate, turning your head away. "I'm not talking to her."

You even cross your arms over your chest for good effect.
Wani doesn't try to warn you further or even tell you off for not giving Hakuchō a chance. She just sits back down beside your bed, chuckling when you turn your head even further away to stop her from being able to see your face, too.

"That tube is definitely working if you've got the energy to be so stubborn, little Star." Nurse Wani teases, but you ignore her.

You can't see what's happening in the room with your head turned so far, the only indication you have that she's not left like you told her to is the sound of her slippers on the floor as she steps closer toward you.
There's a small pause, and then she speaks.

"I'm sorry for not pulling you out of the flames quicker." Hakuchō apologises. "You wouldn't have been hurt if I were quicker."

You wouldn't have been if she wasn't a liar either, so you ignore it. You didn't even care about the burn. It was uncomfortable, but you were more upset about being torn away from your family.

"I'm sorry for holding your arm so tight, too. I didn't want you to get any more hurt. Hawks' wings are really sharp, you know?" She continues.

And again, you didn't care about that, so you don't reply again.

"I'm sorry for sedating you, as well." She apologises again. "I didn't mean to get you there. It must have hurt."

You didn't want to hear about it, that wasn't what you cared about. None of these people were listening to you or why you were upset, you didn't care that you were hurt because of the fire, because you knew that Dabi hadn't intentionally hurt you. You didn't care that the needle going into your neck hurt, because you had been taken from your pawpaw while you were out for the count.
You begin to cry silently in frustration. You wanted someone to listen to you, and give you back to Dabi.
You guess he's probably in trouble now, though, for hurting Hawks. You really might not be able to go back to him.

Nurse Wani cups one of your hands in both of her gentle, cool ones, such a stark difference to Dabi's hands, but comforting all the same.
You see her shake her head from the corner of your blurry vision, and then hear quickly retreating footsteps followed by a shutting door nearly immediately afterwards.
Wani pats your hand softly.