Nightmares

(Izayoi POV)

It was a dream. I hope. A horrible, horrible, dream.

"IZAYOI!" Denji yelled as he tried to feel me off the wall, "Dude, you're gonna kill yourself!"

It hurt. Who were these people that I had grown connections to in this dream? Random, everyday people who weren't ultimates, just nice people. 

I didn't like them at first, but over time I felt a duty to protect them. Nice people had no need to be attacked, only protected, so that's what I tried to do.

But, one by one, they died. 

Suicide, burning, stabbed, sickness, everything possible happened to these people that I had sworn to protect.

I was always the last one standing, and right when I was about to break everything in an attempt to escape, those...Bears showed up.

"Heya! Seems like things went bad this time huh?" One of them smirked

"Well, we got news for you!" Another continued

"Would you like a restart?"

A restart. What a blessing I had thought it was. That had told me that everything was reversible and that I was in some sort of simulation, which I had already had doubts of before.

"Yeah..." I said, a smirk coming onto my face, "This time, I'll save everyone!"

"Nice! But...Of course, there's always a price for power you know...In order to activate the restart with the same people, you need to experience their pain. Not just the pain of them being here, but their whole lives. That way, the simulation would be able to recognize the people who died by your memories as perfect replacements."

"...Can't you just use past data?"

"Arg!" One of them scowled, "Listen! Just think of it as the condition for resetting!"

"Fine, fine."

Right then, I realized something as a pain so horrid filled my body. They said this was a simulation, meaning that everyone I was with was not real. Therefore, you could give them the worst possible childhoods, filled with every horror imaginable, and have them seem like ordinary people.

"AHHHHHHHHHHH!" I screamed and folded to the ground immediately. It wasn't so much the pain that hurt, as bad as it was, but the memories.

I had to re-live every single person's life there, from when they had to kill their own parents to when they were sold as slaves in some foreign country.

"Well done! You have successfully accepted them!... I guess I can't really say that though, given how much you're crying!" 

The bears continued to mock me, and I woke up with no memory of what had just happened prior, with new people, and the cycle repeated. A total of 10 times.

"...Shit," Riku muttered right next to me, before quickly running off.

After nearly a whole 10 minutes of people trying to pull me back, he jabbed a needle into my arm. I quickly felt my consciousness flicker and passed out.

(Shido POV)

I walked over to where Izayoi had fallen and carried him on my back.

"I'll bring him to his room. Kurumi, can you come with me?"

"Of course," Kurumi said happily and followed. As we left, one more asked to tag along.

"I will as well," Riku said as he walked with us.

I opened up the door to Izayoi's room and put him down on the bed.

"What was that all about?" Kurumi asked no one in particular as she looked at Izayoi sleeping.