Fortune-telling and superstitions

Start from the beginning

"I named her that way. It means night in Arabic."

"It's... suitable", I could think of any other word at the moment.

"You planned to keep her here?" I asked.

"Yes", she replied. "But I need time to convince him." She sighed in defeat.

"I can keep her for you", I offered but I knew Alfred wouldn't like the idea.

"You would do that for me?" She asked in disbelief.

I nodded my head in confirmation and she jumped into my arms, surprising me. My eyes widened as she put her arms around my neck and hugged me.

"How is your leg?" I genuinely asked. It looked better. She could stand and walk.

"Better. Thank you for your concern", she replied gratefully.

She looked at Layla. "How am I ever going to repay you?"

"I have a thing or two in mind." She looked at me uncertainly, not knowing of what I meant by it.

Alfred came downstairs to the Batcave later that night holding the covered plate which he almost dropped spotting my newest guest.

"What in the name of heaven is this!?" Alfred asked, terrified to move.

"Her name is Layla. And she's here to stay", I informed, getting up from the chair, dressed for tonight's patrol around town.

"Layla? This wild creature has a name?" Alfred raised an eyebrow in confusion. Layla growled in protest.

"I don't think she likes being addressed that way", I stated. She walked to me and licked my glove and I patted her head.

"Wonderful. Animal with common sense", Alfred commented with sarcasm in his tone. I wasn't paying much attention to Alfred's worry. "You can't possibly keep her... Master Bruce?"

"Don't eat Alfred", I said looking down at her.

"Master Bruce!" Alfred followed me to the Batmobile. "You are not planning to leave me with... Layla?"

"She's harmless. You'll be fine", I said and hopped in the Batmobile. "Just don't forget to feed her", I added in a joking manner.

"You won't eat old butler for dinner... Miss Layla? I'm all bones no flesh." Layla rubbed around Alfred's leg. It made Alfred relax a bit. "This isn't in my job description...", Alfred sighed. "Very well..."

"What I wouldn't do for you, Master Bruce?" Alfred questioned.

The next day Dick cuddled with Layla, the whole afternoon. "Who is a good kitten? Yes, you are."

"She's hardly a kitten Master Richard", Alfred stated, entering the Batcave.

"Oh come on Al. I know you like her." Layla licked Dick's face, making him smile.

"I find her company... tolerable", Alfred replied.

"Whatever you say Al. But we know the truth. Don't we?" Dick said to Layla.