Chapter 19: Unrequited Love

Third Person's P.O.V.

What is love? People often offer various definitions when discussing love, expressing their opinions, perspectives, and more. But the real question is, what does it feel like to be in love?

Is it a love that brings a smile to your face? Love that brightens up your day? Or perhaps love that brings a sense of peace?

If you were to ask him what love is, his answer would be simple. For Sho, love is the strength to love someone from afar, a love that is both close and distant.

Sho Miguel Cortez, a short-tempered individual who struggles to let his guard down, to quench the fire that rages within him when he becomes frustrated, transforms into a different person whenever he's with Maxrill Ford Martinez IV—his friend, or rather the person who can tame the tiger, the one who effortlessly makes his heart skip a beat.

Falling in love with a friend is challenging, isn't it? He is all too familiar with that feeling. He's reached a point where he could compose an entire song in a minute to unravel his hidden feelings for his friend.

Sho liked—no. Sho has been secretly loving Ford for so long that he can't pinpoint when it began. One day, he simply realized that the stolen glances he cast at Ford weren't something a typical friend would do, but rather the actions of someone in love.

When did it all begin, exactly? Was it when they first met?

— FLASHBACK —

It was a dreary day for Sho as he found himself having to meet new faces, having relocated to a town where he had no acquaintances. His family's decision to move was prompted by business matters.

Sho wasn't particularly keen on socializing, which explained why he lacked friends. Why bother, he thought, when he believed he could manage perfectly well on his own.

Yet, he did have one friend—Wade. Wade was his childhood companion. Despite their frequent squabbles and numerous disagreements, their friendship was unshakeable, akin to a bond that even a typhoon couldn't sever.

In fact, Wade convinced his parents to relocate with Sho, as they were inseparable. They were even classmates, but Wade couldn't accompany him on the first day of school due to falling ill.

Back to story ...

he felt the weight of curious eyes upon him, as he was a new and unfamiliar presence to the others, yet he chose to disregard it.

True to form, he was required to introduce himself to the class, although inwardly he wished to skip the ordeal. Alas, he has no choice.

Following his introduction, the teacher inquired about his seating preference, to which he promptly selected a seat at the back, the one he had set his sights on the moment he entered the room.

Especially noticeable was the lack of interest from the people behind him, particularly his future seatmate, who appeared to be resting his head on the table, using his arms as makeshift pillows.

However, as often happens, reality has a way of defying our expectations, doesn't it?

We must always be prepared for the unexpected.

But for Sho, it was the most unexpected turn of events in his life.

A twist of fate... that would alter his life's course.

Because, after a few moments, his seatmate suddenly broke the silence.

"Hey! New kid?" he exclaimed in an enthusiastic tone. He simply nodded, unwilling to engage in conversation as he wasn't particularly fond of talking.