Chapter 1: Avery

'ALEXANDER!' I yelled into the hallway. I was going to murder my brother. If I ended up being late for my first day of school because of that irritating little brat...let's just say that they wouldn't find the body.

I was considering driving off to school without him when I heard footsteps thudding down the stairs. Alex appeared, looking half-asleep and not the least bit remorseful. I scowled at him, and held up the car keys.

'We're leaving. Now.'

'What? But I haven't even had breakfast! I'm starving!' he grumbled.

'Car. Now.'

Without waiting for a response, I stalked out of the house and he followed behind me, complaining about dictatorial older sisters as he went.

I got into my car, a sixteenth birthday present from my parents. It was a second-hand BMW, not flashy, but comfortable and reliable. Alex yanked open the door to the front passenger seat, but I shook my head at him.

'Nope. Backseat for you.' I said.

'What? That's so unfair. Why does Vi get to sit there?'

'Because she's my best friend and you aren't. Hurry up and get in.'

He rolled his eyes but did as I said, slamming the car door on his way in. I turned on the engine and left to pick up my best friend on the way to school.

As I pulled up to Violet Park's house, I saw a flash of blue in the rearview mirror of the car. I instinctively slammed the breaks, prompting a loud 'Ouch!' from the back. I poked my head out of the window to see what I almost hit.

A tall boy wearing a black hoodie with wisps of blond hair sticking out yelled 'Watch where you're going, idiot!' in a distinctive British accent, before stalking off to wherever he was going.

Wincing at my terrible driving skills and the rudeness of the boy, I shook my head and honked for Violet. My face broke into a wide grin as I saw my best friend, looking immaculate as usual in a white sweater and jeans with her long dark hair halfway down her back.

'Avery! God, I haven't seen you in forever.'

'Um, we went shopping two days ago' I pointed out.

'Long enough' she shrugged, wrapping me in a tight hug.

'Girls.' muttered Alex, with a dramatic eye roll.

On the way to school, Violet updated me on everything that had happened to her in the last few days.

'Omg, Darren texted me asking to hang out! I left him on read, because how pathetic can you get? Ugh.'

Darren was her ex-boyfriend. They had been the definition of an on-off relationship for the last year, and somehow I felt that it wasn't going to be very different this time.

'Ooh, also, I have new neighbours. They just moved in on Saturday! My mom said that they've just arrived from England, and that their son's going to our school. Maybe we'll meet him! I saw him from my bedroom window and he's absolutely gorgeous,' she sighed.

I frowned. Huh. That must have been who I almost ran over. Well, his personality certainly didn't match his looks, if Violet was to be believed.

We arrived at school. It was buzzing with people, and I suddenly felt overwhelmed by all the noise and general atmosphere of chaos. I swallowed back my first-day nerves and smiled.

'Here's to this year', I said, hoping that it would go well.