Chapter 7

~Nyx~
Dreamworld

I find myself standing on the bank of a creek. I've been here once before with Wren, but I don't see her sitting where she was last time. My head snaps towards the water at the sound of splashing. Her laughter rings out before she sees me and stops. I've never seen her so carefree, except maybe when she was dancing on her birthday. I just stand there as she makes her way out of the water and to the spot I had expected to originally find her.

"What is this place? You've brought us here twice now."

"It's my favorite place. Well it's not exactly like the real one, the water is deeper here so I'm able to swim."

"It's nice. I can see why it's your favorite."

She leans back into the sunlight. I try not to stare at her. But especially like now, with the sun shining down on her fair skin, it's like she glows from within. It's very disarming. Her dark hair, a beautiful contrast.

"So any fun adventures this weekend?"

Over the past couple of weeks she has asked me this after our two nights apart.

"Well, the first night I spent in Korea. It's not a language I have mastered yet over the years and have no idea what was going on, but whatever it was it was a whole family ordeal."

"Does that happen often?" She asks through her laughter.

"What?"

"Going into people of different origins and not being able to understand them."

I look out over the water and get flashes of the MANY times it's happened.

"Yeah, it's like no matter what time I fall asleep I find someone else who is sleeping. If I don't sleep 'normal' hours it happens a lot. I first learned Spanish, because it's second to English in languages I run into. Then French..."

"That's how you knew how to order in Paris. And you said you traveled a lot. Did you mean in dreams or real life?"

"Honestly I knew what to order because it was your dream. Whatever I ordered would have been what you wanted. As for the French and travel,yes, that is all due to dreamwalking."

"Wow. I wish I could do that."

"Maybe if this keeps up, I can teach you."

-------------

~Wren~

It has been weeks and weeks and I still don't know what is wrong with me. I mean they are just dreams right? He is just a figment of my imagination. I only see him in my dreams. It's not like I'm walking around town talking to an imaginary friend. But why am I...

"Wren?"

Austin leans into me as he snaps me out of my thoughts. Everyone at the table is looking at me. There are five of us seated in the booth and all eyes are on me. I fight the urge to shrink down and try to recollect what they were just talking about. I'm clueless.

"What?" I ask, guiltily.

"I asked if you were excited about moving into the dorms." Jesse asks me as she holds back a laugh.

"Yeah!" I tell her as I force a smile on my face.

Actually I am terrified. My parents told me it's my choice if I want to live at home or move into the university dorms. I put my name on the list for a dorm. But the closer it gets to moving the less I want to do it. So I guess in a way I haven't decided. I keep eating as I try to keep up with everyone talking about how excited they are about college. I look at Austin and my mood drops. He smiles at me and squeezes my leg. I'm going to miss him so much. He is my rock whenever I feel nervous. When I'm done eating I lean into his side and he kisses me on the top of the head.

Rain is pouring down when we leave the restaurant. Austin gives me a ride home. We kiss goodbye just as the first roar of thunder makes me jump at the sound. He laughs as I rush inside. I hate storms! I go straight to bed and turn my tv up as loud as possible to drown out the thunder.