2. Welcome to Hogwarts

As soon as Ataraxia arrived at Platform Nine-and-Three-Quarters, she lurked in the shadows until she spotted Rowan. Their raven hair was common among the folks in King's Cross Station, but their brightly multicoloured scarf stuck out brightly. Ataraxia kept her head low as she made her way to her friend, avoiding recognition. She greeted Rowan with a great big hug, once again grateful to have someone with her for her first day.

The sheer number of students filing onto the train made it easy for Ataraxia to slip on with Rowan unrecognised, and the two friends made their way to an empty compartment. For them, the train ride consisted of excited chatter and sweets from the trolley. They took the opportunity to get to know one another better, but Ataraxia avoided answering many questions about her sister. Rowan, however, shared that they had a brother, Ashok, who was much younger than them and would never attend Hogwarts at the same time as his sibling. Both they and their brother were named after their parents' favourite trees. Ataraxia knew that Empyrea had chosen her name, but she didn't know where it had come from.

When the train stopped at Hogsmeade Station, just outside of school grounds, a very large and hairy man directed the students along. Ataraxia didn't look up but to glance at where they were going. For the most part, she kept her eyes on her feet as they walked forward and avoided stepping on anyone else.

The large man stopped the group at the edge of a lake that stretched out far and wide in front of them.

"No more'n four to a boat!" called out the man in his big, booming voice. He gestured to an array of small boats lining the shore. By the time Ataraxia and Rowan had reached the boats, every one had at least one person in it, so they chose to sit in one behind a freckled boy with a mess of curly black hair and a round kid who had their short auburn hair tied back.

The Hogwarts castle stood atop a tall mountain at the other end of the lake. Ataraxia marvelled. She couldn't believe she was finally here. The castle was beautiful — it was old and regal with several towers and windows, and it meant Ataraxia could finally search for her sister.

As nervous as Ataraxia and Rowan were, the ride across the lake was quite beautiful and calming. None of the four children in the boat spoke, but Ataraxia caught the auburn-haired kid staring at her on multiple occasions. She kept her hood up and her head down.

Before long, the boats floated into a hidden hole in the cliffside through a curtain of ivy. The boats stopped in the cavernous boathouse, and the children climbed out onto the cobblestone floors.

Sticking close by Rowan's side, Ataraxia followed the group of first-years up from the Black Lake and into the entrance hall. Outside the great hall stood a tall witch in emerald robes, her black hair pulled back into a tight bun under her witch's hat. Ataraxia assumed this stern-looking witch was Minerva McGonagall, the one who wrote the acceptance letters. She quieted the excited new students and began speaking in a tone that made it obvious this was by far not the first time she'd made this speech.

"Welcome to Hogwarts. Before the Welcoming Feast, we must sort all first-year students into their proper houses. The Sorting Ceremony is very important. While you are here, your houses will be something like your family within Hogwarts. The four houses are Gryffindor, the brave and chivalrous; Hufflepuff, the kind and diligent; Ravenclaw, the witty and wise; and Slytherin, the cunning and ambitious. Each house has its own noble history, and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. I hope you all will be fine additions to their ranks. When I call your name, please come to the front of the room and have a seat, where the Sorting Hat will be placed upon your head to make its decision."

They all stepped into the Great Hall, each individual aghast at its beauty. The room seemed to have no ceiling. Candles floated in the air and hundreds of students lined four long tables. The group of first-years hurried along to the front of the room, at which was placed a fifth table. Behind said table, all but one chair seated an adult — professors. The empty seat probably belonged to Professor McGonagall, who was now standing atop the platform in front of the first-years, holding a large wizard hat that had wrinkles that looked like a face. She pulled out a list of names and cleared her throat before reading them off. After an Ali, Badeea; an April, Richard; and a Bouchard, Dylon (who were sorted into Ravenclaw, Gryffindor, and Ravenclaw, respectively) came "Gale, Ataraxia".