Chapter Fourteen - The Ashton Affair

Emily's POV

"Is this the girl you wanted us to meet?" the man asked.

"Yeah, this is her..." James said.

"One of your classmates, darling?" the woman asked.

"Actually... she's my fiancee!"

"What?" I asked. James shot me a pleading look. "Sorry, James, I didn't realize you'd already told them about our engagement. I'm Emily. It's nice to meet you."

"George Ashton, and this is my wife, Olivia," George said.

"A pleasure," Olivia said.

Mr. Ashton shook my hand. Mrs. Ashton gave me a polite nod. They glanced at Vasquez. "And who is this?"

"I..." Professor Vasquez said.

James looked at me, at a loss. I cleared my throat and stepped forward. "Allow me to introduce my grandfather," I said.

"Your what?"

"It's all right, grandfather. I know your memory is sometimes a little shaky..."

"I am not a senile, old man!

"There, there..." I patted his arm and smiled ruefully at James's parents. "He's a little grumpy without his afternoon nap..."

"Right. Well, we'll be on our way shortly then," Olivia said.

Mr. and Mrs. Ashton turned to me. "Emily, we'd love to get to know you better while we're in town," George said.

"Yes, why don't you join us for dinner tonight?"

"You don't have to do that. Besides, I'm sure she's very busy..." James said.

"Nonsense, James. She's going to be part of the family after all. We insist."

"... all right," I said.

"Perfect. We'll meet at the Savoy at six o'clock. Sharp," George said.

After Mr. and Mrs. Ashton left. "So, are you going to tell me why your parents think we're engaged?"

"It's a little complicated..." James said.

"I can't wait to hear it."

James looked from me to Professor Vasquez. Vasquez busied himself with the papers on his desk. "My parents want me to major in business, to inherit my father's investment company, to marry the right woman..."

"Wow, that must be a lot of pressure on you."

"It was... until I decided to pursue my own path."

"Let me guess... you haven't told them you're still single and studying literature."

"No, I haven't. First, if they knew I was single, they'd pressure me to date some well-connected girl they've hand-selected."

"That doesn't sound so bad."

"I've never liked anyone they've picked before."

"Oh."

"And secondly, they wouldn't understand why I want to be a writer."

"Isn't it hard to keep that secret? It's what you love."

"It's not easy, but... I have to stick with it. At least until I finish my play. Will you help me out?"

Behind me, Professor Vasquez cleared his throat. "I strongly believe she should. This is an excellent opportunity for you, Emily," Professor Vasquez said.