Chapter Four - The All-Nighter

Emily's POV

10:00PM

"Okay! Quick check-in. How many pages has everyone finished?" I asked.

"Eight!" Chris exclaimed.

"Twelve!" Zack exclaimed.

"Thirty!" Abbie exclaimed.

"Thirty?" Tyler asked.

"What can I say? I spend a lot of time online."

"Okay... time to really concentrate and do this!" I exclaimed. "I'm going to write fifteen pages. I'm on fire! I'm going to write twenty pages! At this rate, I'll actually get to sleep tonight! I'm going to write thirty pages. I'm even giving Abbie a run for her money!"

Chris looked over my shoulder to check on my progress. "Wow... you're getting a lot done," Chris said.

"Let's just say I'm highly motivated."

"And why's that?"

"I want to stay because of you! I... I can't lose you, Chris."

"Emily, I... last night..." He took a deep breath and looked around the room. Kaitlyn and Abbie were looking over at us. "Don't worry. You're not going anywhere. We won't let that happen."

As Chris headed back to his laptop in the next room, Kaitlyn and Abbie sidled up to me. "Okay... time to dish. What's the latest on you and Chris?" Kaitlyn asked.

"What are you talking about?" I asked.

"Don't play dumb. I know you two stayed behind last night..."

"Stop pressuring her, Kaitlyn. They were probably just talking..." Abbie said. "Plus, Emily would never be reckless enough to date someone in the house, right?"

"To be honest, Chris and I are kind of a thing," I said.

"I knew it! You work fast!" Kaitlyn exclaimed.

"I... I just hope you're careful," Abbie said. "You heard him. He's not ready for a new relationship yet!"

"I'm not so sure..." I said. "Anyway, we should get back to work!"

"You're the boss..." Kaitlyn said.

Midnight

"Looks like we're ahead of schedule. We're almost a third of the way through!" I exclaimed.

"But we just hit a serious emergency: the coffee maker is fried!" Kaitlyn exclaimed.

"What?!" Abbie exclaimed.

"Game over, man! We're doomed!" Tyler exclaimed.

"Not if I can help it! It just so happens that the campus coffee shop is only a short walk away from our dorm!" Zack exclaimed. "Even better, the barista is a total babe. His name is Brandon, and he basically looks like he was carved by Michelangelo... Please, please come with me, Emily! You can be my wing-girl! Plus, we'll get enough coffee to keep everyone awake and typing!"

"Please go with him, Emily! We need that coffee, and if Zack goes on his own, he'll spend all night working up the courage to talk to Brandon!"

"Zack, I'm in!" I exclaimed.

"That's my girl!" Zack exclaimed.

A Few Minutes Later...

"I totally owe you one, Emily! I know I talk a big game..." Zack said. "But under all of this steely confidence is the heart of a tiny, scared mouse."