Chapter 24 Evil Eye

Start from the beginning

The pathway to the temple was always empty and only had empty chambers except one which was of Karna.

Due to this, there were no dasis or soldiers in that pathway. Now that may sound weird that the king only has no safety. But Karna did not like soldiers around his chambers and wanted complete privacy.

Seeing the man, Mandavi became alert. The man was so occupied with his other worries that he did not notice Mandavi.

"Who are you?" A bold but slow voice broke his trance and he noticed Mandavi. Now he cannot even run away as Mandavi had noticed him. And he had to complete his work also.

"Who are you?" Mandavi asked again bravely. "And don't you dare to think that I will go from here to call for help and you will run away. Tell me who are you?"

The man came near her and Mandavi moved back in defense. Soon her back hit the wall, meaning she can't escape now.

The man kept his one hand on her mouth and till then Mandavi tried using her hands to remove his hand from her face and used her legs to kick his legs so that he will leave her.

She was successful in removing his hand from her mouth and she used this opportunity to shout Bhratashree loudly so that Karna may come to help her if he was present in his chamber.

But before she could even complete saying Bhratashree, the man used his bare hand to take out the small knife hanging on his waist and plunged it into Mandavi's stomach.

The sudden act took Mandavi by surprise as she shrieked loudly and tried to balance herself as she moved a few steps back due to the sudden force. She touched the area where the man had plunged a knife and saw that her hand was now covered with blood.

She looked at the man who was still holding the knife from which her blood was dripping and was looking at her with a mixed reaction of disappointment and anger.

"Was here to kill Samrat but had to hurt someone else." He whispered to himself angrily but it was audible to Mandavi.

Slowly Mandavi's vision blurred and she fell on the ground, blood still dripping from his stomach forming a pool of blood on the ground, atop of which was an unconscious Mandavi.

The man looked here and there, fixed his scarf properly and escaped from there before anyone can notice him.

In the temple:

Draupadi kept the flower platter near the idol as Mata Kunti was coming to pray today. She started moving towards the same way she came from to go to the servant's quarters and check on her sons but then stopped herself and started moving towards the pathway where Karna's chamber, which was once their chamber was located as this way she will reach the servants quarters faster.

She moved forward in the pathway replaying the latest memory happened there, her confrontation of Karna.

He still looks hot. Her subconscious stated.

Shut up Draupadi. She chided herself.

Soon she reached near Karna's chamber. And the sight in front of her, shocked her to her core.

Mandavi was lying unconscious on the floor and two soldiers were just standing there, confused on what to do.

Draupadi rushed near her and sat on her knees, trying to wake Mandavi up.

"Mandavi, Mandavi. Wake up." Draupadi said as she patted her cheeks and shrieked when she saw her injury and the amount of blood which was lost.

"WHY ARE YOU STANDING HERE LIKE FOOLS? HELP ME PICK HER UP." Draupadi said in her queenly authoritative tone making them scared to their wits.