"Lots of times. They're very fun to be with. I really enjoy spending time with them. They're the best!"

"So, which one are you closest with?"

"It's Ken. We both work in the same bookshop. He makes really good coffee. Also, he's smart, athletic and good-looking. He's a catch." that's why a lot of girls are heartbroken knowing his gay. I don't mind though. Ever since I met him, I see him like a brother.

James clenched his jaw. "Alright, then. Come on, they're waiting for us." he continued on walking leaving me behind. It looked like he was angry? Why was he angry? Have I said something wrong?

He continued walking while I trailed behind him. Not once did he look back. I was pondering from our conversation if I said something offensive but my mind drew a blank. I'm wondering why he's upset.

Martin and George were waiting for us at the steps of the church. After a quick assessment of James, Martin snapped his mouth shut and let him walk inside. George excused himself and went after him.

"Did something happened? Did the two of you fight?" he asked with a puzzled look.

"Nothing happened. We were just talking and then suddenly he got upset and ended the conversation." I replied.

"Really? Because it looked like he's mad."

"I'm honestly at lost as you are. I planned to apologize anyway even though I don't know why he got mad. I don't understand what happened. He was really fine."

"Honestly, that kid. After handling him for so many years, I still don't fully understand him. He's very unpredictable. I don't doubt he'll be fine later on. James can't stay mad at you. What did you guys talk about?"

"First, he asked if I was mad and I said no but I'm mad at his dad for inviting his family because for me it was insensitive. But he doesn't want to stop him because technically they didn't do anything to him. And I said I wish that he could have done it after the funeral, you know?"

"I agree with you. Go on."

"Then, he thanked me for supporting him and I told him no problem I'm always there for him. And I asked permission if he did anything to upset or hurt him, I get to kick his ass."

"Language Gracey. And very violent of you to do as a woman. I'll be the one doing the kicking. Then, what happened?"

"James also said the same thing except for volunteering the ass kicking. Sorry, minding my language." Martin playfully glared at me and gestured for me to continue. "Then, I said comparing to my best friend, my actions are still considered as nice. Then, he asked if my best friend was a girl and I said yes. I also mentioned I have guy friends too. He asked if I was close to them and said yes and we spend a lot of time too and they're really nice. Then, he asked who I was closest with and I told him it was my guy friend who I work with in my bookshop. I also told him how amazing my friend is. Then, James got all quiet and got upset. That's pretty much what happened."

Martin barked out a laugh after I finished. Bystanders were looking at us weirdly and I used my hair as a curtain to block out their judgmental stares. Martin soon realized the attention he was gaining and quieted down his laughter. "Oh, to be young."

"What do you mean by that? Do you know why he's mad?" I asked and eager to know what my fault was.

Martin just shook his head and a smirk present on his face. "I'll let you two be. You'll figure it out. Come on, let's go inside."

"What do you mean about that? What do you know? Martin don't ignore me!" I exclaimed while running after him. He continued ignoring me while humming a happy tune. I kept on asking and he gave me a small smirk and continued on ignoring me.

Unfortunately, I failed to extract information. No matter how many times I pester him, he wouldn't budge. I reluctantly let it go and came to terms that I have to find out on my own. I guess I can still squeeze-in in my busy schedule; note my sarcasm.

When we got inside, Martin walked with haste. He rushed to the left side of the church and occupied the vacant seat at the second row of the pews near the altar. The only vacant seat left. Purposely sitting there to get away from me. Leaving me standing at the middle. I glanced to my right and saw James staring at me and sitting next to him was Dotty. There was a vacant seat to his left but due to what happened earlier, I don't know if I'm welcomed to sit next to him or he wants me to be far away from him as possible.

His cold expression melted away and was replaced with a soft grin. He patted the empty spot next to him telling me to sit down. I didn't need to be told twice so I walked up to the front row and sat down. His scent invaded my senses and I have a sudden fantasy to bury my face on his chest. James breathed out deeply and anxiously tapping his foot. I reached for his hand and lace my fingers with his. He gripped my hand but not enough to hurt me. We find comfort in each other's warmth. My eyes searched for Martin and the moment our eyes met, he had a knowing smirk playing on his lips.

"I told you so." he mouthed. I pressed my lips to hide my smile. Then, my eyes landed on the family behind him.

The sperm donor watched our interaction. He gave us a disapproving look. If it wasn't for James, I have the urge to introduce to him my middle finger. Next to him is woman who's probably a few years younger for him. She's pretty with her short blonde hair, button nose and green eyes. Probably being mean about this but there's nothing remarkable about her. After Dotty showed me pictures of James' mother, I don't understand why he would leave such a beautiful woman. A woman, who I've heard from Dotty, the gentlest and kindest person you'll ever meet.

There were two boys with them. The oldest is most probably around my age while the other is in his preteen year. As if he could sense me looking at him, he turned his head and we locked eyes. I felt disgusted when he winked and smirked at me. I broke away and focused my attention at front.

James gently stroked the back of my hand with his thumb. "What's wrong? What were you looking at?" he glanced behind and scanned the room with his eyes. "Oh, I see. You saw them."

"Yeah..." was all I said. As much as I wanted to tell James, I don't want him to start a fight with his brother before they could establish a relationship. It's something that I can let go for now.

Dotty was quiet the whole time. She had her eyes on the altar. I could see she was trying to keep it together. I reached out for her with my other hand and gently squeezed it. She turned her gaze towards me and I could see the tears forming in her eyes. A single tear ran down on her cheek and she quickly wiped it away. She gave me a quivering smile and patted my hand before letting go.

The priest finally made his appearance and started the ceremony. Everybody was solemnly quiet. The only noise you could hear is the priest's firm voice echoing throughout the church.

The priest finally made his appearance and started the ceremony. Everybody was solemnly quiet and the only noise you could hear is the priest's solid firm voice. Dotty was crying silently while James was still holding on to my hand for support and comfort. I'm familiar this. I also sought for support and comfort during that time.

This ceremony brings back depressing memories. I was also in the same position as James is now. I know that all too well. The loneliness partnering with guilt and anger. It breaks my heart with that constant reminder that he's gone and he'll never come back.

The same thing with James. I could feel his emotions and thoughts. I wish I could help him take away the pain but being here with him and comforting him is the only help I can give him. Grief is numbing and painful but with the right pillar it becomes bearable.