Year Two: The Dueling Club

17th December, 1992, Thursday

Violet had been given a note to excuse her from classes for the day, but by lunch time, she was bored out of her mind in the hospital wing. Madam Pomfrey agreed to let her leave, so long as she tried to avoid stressful situations for the time being. Violet wanted to respond that it wasn't like she went looking for stressful situations, they just happened to find her, but she didn't want to be rude to the healer, as she'd been nothing but kind. 

After stopping by her dorm to drop of the vase of flowers and grab her bag, Violet arrived at the Great Hall with just enough time to eat. Her entire friend group, Caroline excluded, pounced with questions before she'd even had the chance to sit down.

"I'm alright!" She sighed, loading up her plate, "I was sick, that's all. I slept the entire time, nothing exciting happened."

"We were so worried!" Aimee leaned her head on Violet's shoulder, "We woke up and you were gone. No note, nothing."

"I'm really sorry," She apologized again, looking at Aimee, Hannah, and Cedric, "I woke up in the middle of the night not feeling well. I didn't think it would such an issue."

"Not an issue," Cedric corrected kindly, "But with the recents attacks, maybe don't vanish without a trace?"

Violet laughed, "Alright, if it happens again, I'll let someone know. Can I eat in peace now?"

Hannah and Aimee took turns catching Violet up on what she'd missed in class the day before, as well as giving her the homework the professors had provided. They'd only had Transfiguration, D.A.D.A, Charms, and Herbology. Herbology was the only class she was sad to have missed, though Transfiguration was a close second. 

She was sort of glad to have missed Professor McGonagall; their encounters had been slightly awkward and unnerving ever since the start of the year. Every time Violet was near the professor, she felt like she was being watched, but she couldn't figure out why. Why did the professor have such an interest in her? What was she expecting to see, staring at Violet so frequently?

Violet had mentioned it to her friends, but none of them ever seemed to notice it. She wasn't afraid by any means, she knew the professor meant no harm. She just wanted to know why.

She only had two classes after lunch- History of Magic and Charms, with a free period in-between. 

When she got to History, she sat her bag at her usual seat with Aimee and Hannah, then moved across the room to the Slytherin tables. She stopped in front of Draco, a gentle smile curving her lips.

Draco looked up at her, surprised. Then his eye got the single flower clipped in her hair. 

"I didn't get the chance to thank you." Was her greeting.

He nodded. He didn't know what to say, and even if he did, with all the first-year Slytherins staring at him, he wasn't sure he'd have to courage to say anything.

Her smile fell at his silence, "Right... I'll just go now."

Draco's hand snapped around, grabbing her hand before she could step away, "Meet after class? Our usual spot?"

Violet stared at her hand in his. It wasn't an intimate gesture, but still, her entire arm was tingling. "Hm? Yes, yeah, alright."

She returned to her seat then, as Professor Binns had begun his lesson. 

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

After another boring History lesson, Violet was excited to meet Draco in the library. Her friends weren't thrilled that she was already leaving them, but they were much more understanding than before. They could see that, while they didn't like Draco, Draco and Violet were slowly becoming important to each other.