Prologue - The Storyteller (Ang tagasalaysay)

"Oh crap

"Oh crap. I forgot to ask tita Mila for more coffee."

Yerina sighed for the tenth time that day as she closed her laptop, "I cannot possibly operate without it. Looks like I must face humanity again today."

She carefully placed her laptop on the table and stretched lazily before wearing her "tsinelas" and opening the door,

"Tita! Bili lang ako ng kape sa convenience store! Saglit lang ako"

The older lady she called "tita" (aunt) was her nanny since she was young – Yen's family had been travelling to different countries due to the nature of their work and oftentimes needed to leave Yen and her older sister Jessica to their grandparents and tita Mila.

The convenience store is just a few walks away from the it family home. Not that far but given Yen's occupation, she isn't fond of going out.

She hasn't walked long when she heard a child crying, she looked left and right and when she cannot find where it was coming from, she sighed and walked straight. Completely ignoring the crying sounds that were persistently following her.

"Aish... pwede ba?"

At that, the stillness of the night returned. She let out a huge sigh and continued walking to the convenience store.

Her elementary classmate, Carla was at the cashier and welcomed her with a knowing smile, "Naubusan ng kape?"

"Oo eh... patapos na ko sa ginagawa ko sana"

Carla nodded and started punching in the items Yen purchased, "babalik ka na agad sa inyo?"

Yen chuckled and sat on one of the stools behind the counter, "pwede naman hindi bakit?"

"Kwentuhan mo ko... parang nung sa elementary?"

After receiving the grocery bag full of food in exchange for a few bills - Yen opened an orange popsicle and took a bite,

"Naalala mo pa yun? Tagal na nun ah"

Carla laughed, "sikat ka sa school dahil sa storytelling... naalala ko kahit teachers nun tumitigil para makinig"

Ambo came out of the employees only area and waved hello to Yen who waved back, "uy Yen

Ambo came out of the employees only area and waved hello to Yen who waved back, "uy Yen.. naubusan ng supply?"

Carla pulled on Ambo's arm to move him closer, "UY! Sakto closing na tayo! Dalian mo! Papakwento ako kay Yen"

"Hala... teka sama ako... saglit lang. tapos ka na dyan?"

Yen finished her popsicle and threw the trash on the bin before standing, "sige antayin ko na kayo sa bahay. Pagbuksan na lang kayo ni Tita Mila. Wag nyo tagalan ha? Gabi na."

Ambo looked at the clock and the hands seem to pulse as it read exactly 9 o clock at night, "9 na pala..."

Yen said her goodbyes and walked back home while the two employees hurriedly worked to close the store.

"Hindi ko na talaga maiiwasan ang nickname na yan..."