i. a mother's crime

THE NORTHERN DRAGON

lord cregan stark's eyes reminded septon eustace of a winter storm, but had reminded his ife of her dragon, silverwing

❝lord cregan stark's eyes reminded septon eustace of a winter storm, but had reminded his ife of her dragon, silverwing❞

❄︎❄︎❄︎

The years following Queen Alicent's marriage to King Viserys, three children in three years followed: Prince Aegon, Princess Helaena, and Princess Rhaelle. None of these children was given a dragon egg in the cradle, none but Queen Alicent's youngest had, and Prince Daeron only received one because of his older sister Rhaelle who had seen her eldest sister, Rhaenyra, do the same for her son Lucerys as she placed a blue egg in the cradle which would hatch into Tessarion.

Prince Aegon would eventually claim the golden beast found in the Dragonpit whom he named Sunfyre for its golden flames and golden scales, the prettiest dragon they had said about the youngling. His younger sister, Helaena would claim the dragon of the former wife of King Maegor and sister of Jaehaerys Targaryen, Rhaena Targaryen's beloved dragon Dreamfyre, who had laid the eggs of most dragons currently still flying around Westeros. It had been Princess Rhaelle who had the most unique experience of her older siblings, while she had not received an egg in the cradle, and her mother had never shown the importance of dragon given the King had not one either, she had eventually joined—in secret—her elder sister Rhaenyra who visited Dragonstone at the request of her son Jacaerys shortly after Lucerys was born to introduce the new family member.

It had been there Princess Rhaelle had ventured off and found the dragon of the Good Queen Alysanne, the wife of the late King Jaehaerys, first of his name, and from their first moment they held a strong bond as Rhaelle, tiny as she was at 6 name days old, had climbed into the saddle and flown back to King's Landing on her own.

This had not only scared Princess Rhaenyra but her own mother as well who had demanded they took her away from the beast, but Silverwing would only roar at those who came too close to Princess Rhaelle, and every day since the silver dragon was never far from the young Princess, even when she walked around the Red Keep would Silverwing be near the castle unchained as she had burned two Dragonkeepers and five knights who had tried. Rhaelle would become close to her sister Helaena as they would fly their dragons often to the horror of their Queen mother.

Rhaelle had been often taken away from the presence of her nephews, Jacaerys and Lucerys and even the new born babe Joffrey had not been brought in her presence by her mother—which Rhaelle ignored as she and Prince Jacaerys would often run around the Red Keep in the deep night, especially the hall of paintings had been marvellous to them, where each monarch of the Seven King had a portrait on the wall, excluding King Maegor for none wished to remember the Cruel King.

It had been Rhaelle it had been said, who had been saddened most by the leave of her nephews, but she had hid all that from her mother who had been more than glad to see them leave the castle as Rhaelle stood in the window as she saw them leave for the harbour to sail by ship to Dragonstone. She would not see her nephews again until the funeral of her cousin, Lady Laena of House Velaryon, who had also been an aunt by marriage through her Uncle Daemon and lived in Pentos.