Unveiling the Path

Start from the beginning

Mrs. Akabane still harbored doubts about this girl who had suddenly captured their dear son's attention. How could a commoner harbor such feelings for him when he was born rich and handsome, with every girl vying for his attention? Yet he had chosen this simple, albeit not elegantly looking girl before her.

Disbelief was indeed the right reaction, but respecting one's own child's decision was a must, though it remained questionable in the Akabane family household.

Despite Rio's answer, they still wished to test her intentions towards their son. So, Mr. Akabane came up with an idea that would pique their interest and reveal her true colors, determining whether she truly deserved to be with Karma or not.

"Rio, do you know how to play billiards, my dear?" Karma's father asked with enthusiasm. Without hesitation, Rio replied 'yes' to him.

"Wonderful, shall we go then?" He asked again, and the two replied with a nod.

Rio felt quite nervous about the idea of playing billiards, fearing her skills might falter and she wouldn't be able to pocket the balls. She had played a lot in the past, back when her family had a billiards business and she was still a little girl.

Being nervous was an understatement, but Karma's father had already underestimated her. He smirked, and they all headed to the garden where the billiard table was located a few feet away. Mr. Akabane gently led his wife with his hand on her waist. Karma and Rio walked behind them, with Karma reassuring his girlfriend that she would slay the game and she didn't need to worry, even though it was quite obvious that they were testing her.

"Don't worry, Rio. Remember I'm always gonna be by your side, okay?" Karma kissed her on the cheek, and Rio smiled at him.

"Okay, I can do this. I mean, I've been playing this game since I was five." They laughed and arrived at the area where the maids were preparing their equipment and arranging the balls in the middle.

The butler handed Mr. Akabane two cue sticks. The red color signified the dragon symbol on it, marking it as one of the most expensive cue sticks. On the other hand, the black cue stick was not as flashy as the red one, but it was a popular choice.

"Here, what do you want to choose between these two?" He asked her, curious about which cue stick she would pick. Many looked at her, expecting her to pick the red one, as there was a saying that choosing new ones can lead to victory. However, not many knew that old ones can lead to championship as their skills are passed down.

Rio examined the two sticks in front of her. She kept looking at the red one, but she ultimately picked the black one. Mr. Akabane smirked and asked her, "Why didn't you pick the red one?" She looked at him and smiled.

"I like black."

It was a simple answer, yet it amused them. Mrs. Akabane was taken aback, as were the others, but Karma could only chuckle on the side. She had assumed that the girl would be fascinated by glittery and shiny things, but she was wrong. Rio chose black not because it was obvious that many used it, but because she genuinely liked the color. How peculiar.

"So, who would like to go first?" Karma asked.

"I think it's always ladies first." his father answered him.

"But I think the golden-age should go first, since they have already experienced a lot. It should be a sign of respect to always let them go first." Rio replied while wiping the blue chalk on the tip of her cue stick.

The older Mr. Akabane smiled at her and positioned himself to disassemble the balls. "Very well."

He struck his stick towards the white ball, hitting the other colors and various numbers. He stood up and looked at her, "Rules, 8 ball pool. Meaning if I shot the solid, I would go solid, then you go stripes."