Back to the Woods

Eerie whispers filled my ears. Get out. Get out. I kept running, away from the pitter patter, pitter patter. The tinkling noise of Arachnid. "Leah! Come out and play!" she hissed.

I didn't stop running, didn't look back. I searched around for the exit, but there was no door or window to be found. Just faint lights and dead bodies of the bots Arachnid killed before.

"Hello, Leah!" Arachnid laughed as she appeared right in front of my face. "It's so sad when bad things happen to those close to you. But don't get me wrong– I fully intend to snuff out your life. And believe me, I will make it hurt. Starting now."

She got out her dagger, pulled her arm back, and, just before she ended my life, I woke up. Covered in blood. When I blinked again, there was nothing there. And I was drenched in sweat.

I panted, fast as I could. Just a dream, I thought. Arachnid's not gonna kill me. Not now, not ever. But Tailgate's death was very real. I saw it with my own eyes, and I knew nothing could bring him back.

***

After eating a hearty breakfast, I randomly asked my mom if I could go on a ride to town. She replied, "Leah, town's 30 minutes away, and a way longer trail ride. You sure?"

"Yeah, I'm sure! I just.. Want to see the place."

My mom sighed. "Fine. You're lucky you didn't ask your dad."

***

"Silverstream, ready to ride?" I asked eagerly. But she just snorted. I could tell even she had grown tired of riding in the mornings, which was definitely rare.

"Ugh, now that Tailgate's gone, I'm on my deathbed."

"You're not on your deathbed! Tailgate was, though."

I glared at Silverstream. "Exactly! Which is why I have to get over his absence! Probably won't happen though, because of the fact you keep bringing him up!"

She could tell I was tired of talking about my fallen comrade, because I got on to her about it, a definite sign of shut up. "Fine! We'll ride! But just because you keep glaring at me, not 'cause I want to. Not like I have anything better to do anyway."

I mounted Silverstream, and she skyrocketed into the atmosphere, her wings beating like thunder. She slowed to a glide, and I could tell we were going at about 90 miles per hour. "Where are you taking us?" I asked.

I heard Silverstream chuckle quietly.

"Oh, don't tell me... the woods?!"

***

Silver nodded mischievously. She zoomed down when the trees appeared, and landed. She then galloped through the trees, until we came upon a familiar sighting.

The crater.

***

We investigated the crystals of energon. No ship, no bots, no fighting. Just energon everywhere, spewing out of the ground.

"Silver," I said. "Are you sure this is safe?"

She furrowed her eyebrows. I shrugged and sighed.

The way Cliffjumper looked at me when he first saw me. The horns, the silver face, the red paint.

I had hoped we'd see each other again, but I was starting to have second thoughts about that. "Silverstream, why'd you take us here?" I quizzed.

Silverstream gritted her canines. "Well, I was hoping we'd see the bots again, but I'm starting to think that you're right. Maybe we won't see them again. Let's head into town, and I'll let you grab a snack. I'll help myself to the grass!"

That made me snicker, and realized how hungry I was. My stomach ached from just thinking about it. Silverstream pounded into the sky. Her mane got all in my face, so I leaned back, trying to keep away from it.