After School Summoning

"...This is stupid."

"Shh, it's gonna work!!"

Hanako, Mitsuba, and Kou were all gathered round a sloppily-made Kokkuri-san board in the girls bathroom. It was hours past when students should be home, but Hanako had convinced Kou to tag along anyways. Hanako had proposed the idea to Mitsuba first, who rejected it flat out. But after a lot of pleading (and empty promises), Mitsuba showed up as well.

Kou didn't quite understand the point. Hanako was a ghost and Mitsuba was an apparition- they were exactly what they were intending to summon. And Kou could see the supernatural, so there was basically no point to this. But Hanako seemed determined to try this out at the very least, so Kou wouldn't spoil his fun. Though Mitsuba complained every step of the way.

"Kid, are you ready?"

Kou looked up at an expecting Hanako and an over it Mitsuba, both waiting for him to place his finger on the 10 yen coin Hanako had found on the floor of the school. Kou snapped into place and did what was expected of him, the three beginning the chant to start the ritual.

With each word, Kou got more nervous. I mean, sure, they could all easily deal with a nasty apparition if that's what came their way. But the idea of that alone was nerve-wracking. He didn't have his staff on hand, so if something attacked him specifically, he was screwed.

"Hey Hanako, maybe this isn't the best ide-"

Before Kou could speak, the board lit up. The trio's eyes widened as smoke emitting from the board began to fill the room. It seemed just fine, until the light from the board began to crackle. The smoke became thicker and sparks began to fire from the board, causing the three to retract their fingers and cover their faces from the blinding fog.

Kou looked back at the board as he coughed, only to see nothing but a pile of mush with an eye. It... sure was something. He wasn't sure what he expected to summon, but it definitely wasn't something as sad as this.

As soon as Hanako got a glimpse of the thing, he gasped. He leaned forward to face the board again, eyes filled with wonder and joy. He looked back at the two, his voice loud and confident as he spoke.

"It worked! Quick, let's ask it something!"

Kou stared in confusion while Mitsuba stared in disgust at the thing. It was barely an apparition, most likely the remnants of one that was soon to cease its existence. It wasn't very likely it could even move, let alone gather enough energy to answer whatever questions they had to ask.

"Are you crazy? That thing probably doesn't even know it's alive right now, I doubt it could answer any questions."

Hanako pouted at Mitsuba, then looked at Kou for backup. As much as Kou and Hanako bickered, Hanako knew he could count on him.

"You ask it a question, boy!"

Kou looked down at the thing- Mitsuba was right, it barely looked like it had any life in it. It was summoned most likely due to the poor quality of the board used, but even then, Kou was surprised it could be summoned at all at such a weak state. Kou leaned forward slightly, trying to think of a question.

"Uhh... what's my favorite color?"

Mitsuba snickered. "Seriously? What a lame question."

Kou shot back as he defended himself. "Give me a break, I didn't think we'd actually summon something."

The thing stayed unmoving, before a small arm made of the slop it's body was made of reached out, grabbing the coin. It slowly answered-

'Yellow'. It's final answer was 'Yellow'.

"...Well? Is it right?" Hanako tilted his head at Kou, expecting an honest answer.

"Yeah. That's right."

Kou was a bit surprised that it was accurate, though he was more surprised it wasn't totally dead.

The answer seemed to encourage Mitsuba, as he leaned forward enthusiastically. "Oh great spirit, what's my future lover's name?"

Hanako shot a confused glance at Mitsuba. "Future lover...?

Mitsuba nodded. "Obviously. I need to know if the love-of-my-life has a stupid name or not."

Before the three knew it, the sludge reached out again and began to move. Mitsuba stared intently, Hanako stared as he waited for it to be over, and Kou stared out of curiosity. There's no way a low rank apparition could predict that. But even so, he was slightly curious to see what it would say.

'Mi'

'Na'

'Mo'

'To'

"...Huh?"

The three all collectively stared at the board's answer, then Hanako began to look between the two.

"...are you two-!?"

Mitsuba shot back as he began to scream, his words spitting out desperately.

"W-WHAT THE HELL-!? It has to be a mistake, did you set this up Minamoto-kun!?"

Kou shook his head aggressively, attempting to defend. "NO-!? Why are you accusing me!?"

"I knew it, you really are just a pervert!! You set this all up so I'd think you're my future lover so I fall for you- it's not gonna work, idiot!!" Mitsuba cried out, tears forming in his eyes as he assumed the worst of the blonde.

"For the last time, I didn't set this up!!" Kou yelled back, just as confused as the counter.

The two bickered away, all while Hanako stared at the gross apparition. There's no way this thing knew the future, but it was funny to imagine it to be true. They argued enough to be a couple, anyways.