Chapter 24: Filiation

"Thank you, Dobby.", Ron said gratefully to Dobby. Dobby smiled at him.

Ron sighed in relief. Their adventure had been fairly straightforward but now the game was afoot. Voldemort knew all their cards. He was worried what Voldemort would do now and how much in danger Harry was. He just hoped that they all would be able to get out of this upcoming war okay. Last war still gave him nightmares.

Their task had been fairly easy and they were able to finish the job quickly. They landed into an empty living room of Malfoy Manor to find Nagini napping in front of the fireplace, just like Harry has said she would be. Nagini woke up hearing the pop from their apparation and attacked them. Ron stood in front of Hermione and Dobby. He, then, instinctively swung the Gryffindor sword and felt it slice through something solid. He opened his eyes when he heard two thuds on the floor. Nagini, sliced in half, was on floor and clearly dead. Her dead eyes would haunt him for years but it had to be done. They had apparated away quickly in case someone came in to check what was happening. This place already had been torturous enough to revisit that scenario again. He was glad to escape Manor as quickly as possible.

"Dobby, wait! I have something for you. Since it's Christmas Eve, I figured I can give you your gift right now.", Hermione said with a broad smile.

Ron looked at Hermione who has stitched the gift in days for Dobby. She made one for everyone else too. Ron smiled remembering his mother and her zeal for Christmas. He missed them, his family. But he knew that this was more important. He was giving them a chance of living Voldemort free life. A death eater danger free life. Weasleys' life can never be danger free but that adventurous danger was a good thing. He was giving his parents a chance of never losing their son. He was giving his siblings a chance of not losing a brother. It was all worth it and it wasn't that he didn't have a family. The Marauders and Potters have been so welcoming, loving and caring. Although to them, he knew the love was nothing. He wondered if this is how Harry felt when he offered her a family.

Offing one of Voldemort's soul can be very cathartic. He could see that visiting that place and achieving something momentous had a great effect on Hermione's spirits. That was good because out of the three, she had suffered most in that horrendous place. He figured that was the reason Harry sent them there. She knew Hermione needed to come to peace with that part of her past with least amount of possible danger. Harry, also, knew the possibility of threat was lesser for them than staying at Potter Manor. She won't have sent them there otherwise but would have gone herself, irrespective of what Voldemort would figure out. He understood that she didn't want to lose them but the propensity of her putting herself in danger to shield others scared him. He didn't think he could take it if Harry was carried 'dead' in Hagrid's arm one more time.

Hermione took out a beautifully stitched robe with a hat, sock and a pair of shoes. Dobby eyes grew huge and he tightly hugged Hermione. Hermione beamed. The moment was broken as they heard steps running towards them. Ron stood in front of Hermione and Dobby and pulled out his wand towards the incoming threat. He lowered it as he saw the threat was none other than the Marauders. 

"Where is Harry?", James and Sirius asked together while Lily asked them anxiously as she eyed the bloodied sword,"Are you two okay?"

Remus looked at the sword with a deep frown as his eyes cleared. His eyes zeroed in on Dobby. Sirius and James were vibrating with nervous energy. Lily looked like she did when she had been given homework in all her subjects and she had to plan the ball dance too. Remus was the only one who looked calm and collected but then he expected nothing else from their best defense teacher.

"Hello, Dobby. Merry Christmas!", Remus told a frightened Dobby, who was watching the Marauders with trepidation.

Dobby relaxed and replied with a smile," Merry Christmas to you too sirs. Dobby must go! Christmas dinner needs a lot of work!"